Time well spent with Kareem and solo

aniceguy

Well we arrived at kareem's house at 4 am Thursday only to find him sitting in front of his house in pyjama's.

The first words to come out between tears were " Im not going" Having not met the man before I leaned on Mike for advise in how we go forward. Kareem invited us both in the house and within a few minutes I realized just how special this guy is.

After some coaxing we get Kareem into the car, it was a 9 hour drive filled with laughs jokes and some great stories, even though we could both see he was not himself at all and was in considerable pain, but it was a drive I ll remember for a long long time.

We arrive load the boat and drive over to the cottage, Kareem seemed in good spirits albeit his mobility was just not there. After we unpacked after considerable thought we decided Kareem needed some walleye fillets to go with the massive Porterhouse. Mike and I proceed to fish for an hour or so releaseing a nice pike but bringing 2 nice walleye to the dock for eventual dinner.

We had a GREAT !! dinner had some great conversation and pretty much it became evident that Kareem was without a doubt one of the most articulate caring compassionate persons I have ever met.

We both saw his health take a down turn this evening, the medication and extreme pain made him a shell of the man he was and it was obvious that his end stage cancer was wrecking havoc on him in evey way imagianable. Even through it we joked and swore and had enough confindence Kareem included that we would go into a back lake today for some monster bass and Pike. We laughed until we fell asleep

We woke this morning only to see Kareem in extreme agony from Intra muscular and joint pain from the medical coctail he was on, sputum with blood and the over all severity of his down turn had us contemplating a trip to Kirkland lake for emergency medical evac or home but either way Kareem needed to be very close to medical attention should he require it in the next 72 hrs.

We packed the boat and helped Kareem come down the stairs get in the boat and start our way. Kareem the type of man he is insisted we fished, both Mike and I had no desire only because we knew we needed to get him to a safer environment, but as I learned this weekend in typical Kareem fashion he insisted, so we geared up rods and made sure Kareem was extremely comfortable. Yes we did hit fish and it was enjoyable but what will stay in my mind as the memory of the trip and certainly Kareem was the casual glance and the sublime smile he gave me as he proceeded to set the hook and fight what was most certainly a 10lb pike.

Shortly afterwards we knew we had a long drive and needed to get Kareem home, so we packed the car and drove. I must say in between his naps he had smiles and Mike shared stories of Kareem and his fishing prowess.

Like I said earlier I have met thousands of ppl over the years who enjoy the outdoors but Kareem will stay in my mind for a long long time as one of the nicest humans God put on this earth.

Some of you fish for a living, some out of addiciton or escape and some just becuase its in our blood, today I saw a man who might not see October give a big smile when he had a fish on regardless of the immense pain he was in why....Because he loved to fish. I honoured to have met Kareem, learn abit about myself and to embrace our own mortality and scream loud and proud for the rest of my days

FISH ON !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mike for the experience and god bless Kareem

I am trying to find words of comfort, of compassion; but all I can think of right now is that Kareem was in like company. Thank you for sharing this very memorable experience with us. I would ask God to bless Kareem but I think he already has by surrounding him with people like you and Mike.

I read this report (celebration) last night and at the time had no words at all to offer. I have just read it again and all I can say is that if it's Kareem's mission on this earth to make people stronger, he's succeeding admirably. We can all take a page from Kareem's book and celebrate life as he is doing.

Cliff, as usual, has the right words this morning.

God Bless.

I MYSELF HAVE READ THIS POST SEVERAL TIMES AND HAVE BEEN RENDERED SPEECHLESS AS WELL.THIS IS THE TRUE MEANING OF FRIENDSHIP .I AM ONLY NEW ON THIS BOARD BUT THE PEOPLE I HAVE ENCOUNTERED SO FAR ARE UNBELIEVABLE.I THINK WE CAN ALL LEARN A VALUABLE LESSON HERE.IT'S NOT THE FISHING THAT IS MOST IMPORTANT BUT THE COMRADERIE AND MEMORIES.KAREEM HAS OBVIOUSLY TOUCHED MANY LIVES AND AFTER THIS POST MANY MORE.THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS BECAUSE WE ALL NEED A REALITY CHECK EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE TO REMIND US WHAT TRULY IS IMPORTANT IN LIFE.SO KAREEM MY NEXT HOOK SET IS DEDICATED TO YOU AND MAY IT BE A 10LB PIKE.THANKS AGAIN