Any Success with Storm WildEye Products

mooseroo

It's funny that you ask about swim baits. We were just discussing them on another site that I belong to. One of the tournament guys said the same thing as you. He said he had a lot of follows but no takers. I bought some of the Storm's as well but haven't tried them yet.

Guest Johnny Bass

Actually, swim baits were one of the hottest lures last year next to the Senko. I have heard of many big fish being caught on them.....

Just keep pluggin away. If the fish are following that means they are interested. Try slowing down your retrieve and even stopping once in awhile.

If it don't smell like fish they wont eat it try spraying it down with some fish attractant it mite trigger the follow into a strike.

Are you including cheap (unscented, unsalted) plastic worms in that? If I Texas rig the worm and do a slow retrieve through shallow creek water I get plenty of solid strikes. Actually I get a lot of tail bites and the bass stays with me, even jumping & tailwalking, until he gets to my feet. Then he spits the worm at me and says sayonara sucker. I can see the tooth(?)prints in the wormtails. I started using them when the season opened this year and figured if the cheapies are this good, the real deal (like Senkos?) had to be even better. But if anything the bite dropped and I sure went through a lot more senkos, even with fewer strikes, than I did the cheapos. The cheapos are damned near indestructible but the senkos disintegrate almost before my eyes. I recently started threading a bit of 4# mono through the cheap worm body and hiding a small hook near the tail of the worm. It reduced the number of strikes but I've caught bigger smallies with that tail hook. The worm action isn't as sinuous on the retrieve with the 4# inside.

Mebbe I'm just working a part of the Thames where the sm's are hungry, or mebbe it's just beginner's luck.

BTW. I may not have introduced myself yet. I used to fish as a kid growing up in St.Marys at the confluence of Trout Creek and the Thames, then got away from it (for more decades than I care to recall) until a couple of years ago when a buddy drug me out to the river again to chase bass. We've spent the last two summers wetwading the Thames either side of St.Marys tossing a variety of lures for smallies & Pike and just having fun, looking forward to a reward of single malt for our putting up with Mother Nature in the raw. My buddy always uses Rapala minnows with fair success but he's slowly converting to plastic after being outfished by a rank amateur so many nights. Probably the most fun we had this year was wading the river just below the dam in Calabogie chasing bass and catfish. I don't even remember what the river's called, but it was pretty and the current was ripping and the rocks were slippery. It was a hoot, even if Rob did get dunked.

I used to do a lot of scuba diving and it's kinda fun to chase the fish having an idea of how they behave when not being hassled by us surface dwellers. They have very little fear of divers so we get to watch them up close and personal. Most of my fishing is C&R with barbless or debarbed hooks. I just like getting out and playing.

Sorry about the windy post but I've got that off my chest now. I will try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum from here on in and if anyone is keen to wade the creeks around Straford & St.Marys some evening let me know. I've actually got some boots and waders now. The water is getting a little nippy and I'm not sure, but I think the sweat sox and bare legs might have had a negative effect on the fish catchability, really.

JF

we have done well on the walleye and pike imitations the last two years targeting pike, but then again a pike will hit just about anything that comes in its path. the life expectancy for them on pike is usually 2-3 fish per bait, so they can get expensive.

jason

I posted this last November,

My First Walleye

Hello Everyone,

We were able to get out on Rice Lake on Saturday morning, however before my report I have to thank my 22 month year old daughter. About 3 weeks ago the family went to wal-mart, while my wife and the eldest went to go look at something the youngest and myself went over to where else the Fishing aisle. Well she picked a pack of 3 wild perch Storm lures off the shelf, I let her carry them around for a bit but when I tried to take them back from her and put them back on the shelf she just kept crying and carrying on. So I let her carry them around the store until we were ready to check out. Again when we got to the check out counter she would not give them up. Well $5 is well worth the price of keeping her quite all the way home and even the wife said just buy them. Well since then I have been on the water a couple of times and been skunked. So Friday night the wife said don’t forget you have those fish things up stairs. So I put them in the tackle box and a way we went

My girl and the storm lure she picked.

Gabbyandlure2.jpg

Well 6 of us took off for Rice lake, Nice cool November morning

Fished for about 20 min, then I remembered the lures in my box so I figured I might as well give it a shot, about 5 minutes later I pulled this out of the lake, my first Walleye.

100_1205.jpg

So I guess the moral of the story is grab your kids, nieces, nephews or neighbors kids and head on over to the tackle shop and let them pick

Good luck to everyone going to BOQ looking forward to your reports

Who actually "won" Rick (perhaps yourself)? The win is tainted though because I wasn't there to compete...kinda like a golfer winning an event when Tiger isn't in the field...doesn't really count. (man fishing trash talk feels good)

I plan on being the first back-to-back winner, Rizzo, so we'll see you there next June!

so you did pull it off, very nice Rick. We'll see about that back to back thing next year though :D Maybe no back to back in your future, but eventually someone will have to get their name on that monstrosity twice. I'll put my $$$$ on Avery...he's had the most shots at repeating as champ and I think he's due. Those dang baits of his seem to catch fish too, forget about these swimbaits we're talking about, go jumla (I think that's what they are called)

Well I guess I'll have to give them another shot this weekend maybe. I'll give them a shot of scent and vary the presentation. I'm glad to hear others have had some luck with them.

Thanks for the advice and stories! I'll update if I get a chance to throw them this weekend.