What do these fish want?!?!?!

Dozer

Damn, just struggling here...

First night of chucking, 2 fish on, one solid hit. Now we're at about 10 hours in for chucking since and nothing! Not even a hit!

All night fishing...

And the worst part, the buggers are 5 feet away from me! Swimmin' ever so happily, calm, not even bothered by my glow in the dark Cleo's, Mepps', Rapala's, shad raps... my buddy hooked one on row bags today...but thats it!

What are these fish waiting for?

Every night I fished the skies were clear, one night was very windy... and today partly cloudy.

Could anyone tell me more about the physiology of trout / salmon... pretty please!

From what I've gathered we are in need of rain and colder weather to drop water temperatures.

What about moon phases, barometric pressure, weather conditions, when the fish is most active... etc. etc.

Damn, I can't wait to hit up Fenelon Falls in a few weeks to make up for all this lack of tight lines...

well im still new to salmon fishing too, but i was talking to some older fishermen and they explained me that cleos work best in river mouths, thats the time and place for salmon to eat properly before they go to spawn, after they swim up the rivers they dont chase baits that active anymore.

also read somewhere, that roe in a bag works best because salmon tend to destroy other eggs so that their eggs would have more chances to spawn and survive. also trout come right after salmon to eat the eggs.

but in rivers you can see alot of fishermen using marshmallows or ear plugs, the reason for that is to lift the line so when spawing salmon goes upstream the line would go into its already deformed mouth and then snag it. its more like a lottery.:)

Far from being an expert myself but in my limited experience I've found the first salmon to run up tribs feed more-much more chance for a hit. Salmon that have gone darker colour and fish entering tribs here in east in second 1/2 of Sept and in Oct rarely bite. There's exceptions but many hooked in mouth are flossed.

Can you reach deeper water at river mouth, some being caught on piers right now-fish 'staging' a little deeper are more active feeding. I went 0/4 early morn at last deep spot where salmon are staging on an eastern trib-in boat but heard guys on pier had few hits on cleos overnight with 2 caught.

Try varying your speed of retrieve, depth of retreive, cadence of retrieve (erratic, pause, speed up then slow down, etc), also try to change things up. If the glow spoons aren't triggering strikes try covering up a portion of the glow spoon so you only get a thin strip glowing, or don't charge it at all. Try rattling lures, suspending lures, just keep changing things until something works. As someone else mentioned, they tend to turn into zombies after a while if they can't get upstream because of no rain, and start their mating cycle. Try to target the areas closest to open lake, like the tips of piers and breakwalls.

Guys who are 'catching' fish on marshmallows of floating roe bags are most likely lining fish as they cruise around in the dark with their mouths open. Someone will always argue that they were slamming ear plugs dipped in Dr. Juice, but you'd do just as well with a piece of stryofoam or any other floating object that elevates your line to a nice 'checkmark' profile ideal for lining :lol:

Keep at 'er, your results are somewhat typical for this type of fishing, it's not double-digit fishing by any means unless you hit the jackpot when conditions are perfect and a fresh pod of angry fish moves to within casting distance.

Have fun!

Tony

Damn, just struggling here...

First night of chucking, 2 fish on, one solid hit. Now we're at about 10 hours in for chucking since and nothing! Not even a hit!

All night fishing...

And the worst part, the buggers are 5 feet away from me! Swimmin' ever so happily, calm, not even bothered by my glow in the dark Cleo's, Mepps', Rapala's, shad raps... my buddy hooked one on row bags today...but thats it!

What are these fish waiting for?

Every night I fished the skies were clear, one night was very windy... and today partly cloudy.

Could anyone tell me more about the physiology of trout / salmon... pretty please!

From what I've gathered we are in need of rain and colder weather to drop water temperatures.

What about moon phases, barometric pressure, weather conditions, when the fish is most active... etc. etc.

Damn, I can't wait to hit up Fenelon Falls in a few weeks to make up for all this lack of tight lines...

Sounds like a typical night out on the piers to me lol, Im on the US side fishing in Olcott and its been spotty at best.

Never caught or fished for Salmon, a little early for steelhead here, next month, cooler temps and rain will help. LOL I haven`t seen any other species of trout here, but the Steelhead don`t really seem to have a preference in baits, anything that resembles a baitfish, white tubes, white jig and grubs, small crankbaits, small spoons like cleos.

Most of mine have come from breakwalls and rip-rap at river mouths, if the baitfish are stacked up there even better. The ones I have cleaned where full of small fish, emerald shiners, perch, shad, didn`t seem to make much difference to them.

Some days it was hard to get a hit, they were rolling in the schools of Emerald Shiners along the breakwalls, so food was easy to get for them. Other days you couldn`t keep away from them to get to the smallies.

Cooler water holds oxygen better and trout are pretty oxygen sensitive, if the water is to warm maybe they won`t chase a lure?

Salmon will hit only out of anger or if the lure/fly is put directly infront of their mouth. Most stories you hear of people catching salmon after salmon are flossing or snagging them whether intentional or accidental.

One guy told me who can catch salmon with cigarette butts...just put it infront of them?