Recommend any lodges in the Lake Nippissing area?

myst

This is kind of last minute, but we are looking to go out to Nippissing next Friday to Monday. We are going to be 4 people, but most of the lodge's boats I have seen are only meant to fit 3 people. Should we be looking for a pontoon type boat? Also, if it was equipped with fish finder that would be a bonus!

Has anyone had any good experiences in that area, both in the quality of the lodge and the fishing? Thanks!

Hands down you have two choices for the west arm of Nipissing.... Welcome Lodge (highly rated) or Lakair Lodge ( probably the best) you can find them here.... http://www.ontariofishing.net/linkspages/F...Lake_Nipissing/

Stick with the lodges included in the link I provided... they are listed on this site for a reason... because they are recommended..

Kevin and Leslie own Lakair

Gary and Angela own Welcome Lodge..

give these two a call and see if they meet your needs... their sites are located in the above link

Have fun no matter where you decide!

Need more info PM me..

Gerritt.

My choice of places up their is Lak Air The cabins are nice and the boats are well maintained. You might bring a fishing buddy for depth and a electric motor w/battery. The food is awsome and the staff will make your trip memorable. The fishing is very good nearby with your choice of pike walleye muskie and small mouth bass in the area. For the run into town it is about 15 miles away so if you need something it is easy to get. You might consider 2 boats so you can fish different areas and meet up when you want to. less chance of hookin each other too. Good luck and have fun

Art

Is there anyone who doesn't recommend Lakair? lol. They really do look like a nice lodge, the only thing is that their boats seem a little low tech compared to some of the other lodges like Camp la Plage and Glen Echo, who offer 18' fiberglass or aluminum boats that are equipped with swivel seats, livewell, fishfinders, bilge pump, large raised casting platform with 50lb. bow mount trolling motor, etc etc. Even pontoon boats. Is all that stuff important? We are going to spending at least 10-12 hours a day fishing.

What do you guys think?

Is there anyone who doesn't recommend Lakair? lol. They really do look like a nice lodge, the only thing is that their boats seem a little low tech compared to some of the other lodges like Camp la Plage and Glen Echo, who offer 18' fiberglass or aluminum boats that are equipped with swivel seats, livewell, fishfinders, bilge pump, large raised casting platform with 50lb. bow mount trolling motor, etc etc. Even pontoon boats. Is all that stuff important? We are going to spending at least 10-12 hours a day fishing.

What do you guys think?

You have to apples to apples...

Glen Echo gets you a 16' Lund, pay extra for bow-mont and boat upgrade.

Camp la Plage charges extra for the boat upgrade otherwise it's the same 18' Cedar as Lakair.

The big cedar's are nice, used one years ago on the French. They are a very sensible choice for those waters and would venture to guess that they're worth considerably more than a 16' Lund when the weather kicks up.

I can see your point about the boat ammenities - tough call.

I've only stayed at Lakair in that area so I can't be objective - I did enjoy my stay and I caught fish. Me catching fish should be a ringing endorsement!

-Brian

We've stayed at Glen Echo several times. Their facilities and equipment are well maintained. And the nice thing about Glen Echo it's easy to get into the lake or if the weather gets tough into callander bay where there's lots of protected places to fish.

As far as their boats go you can get the bare bones 16 ft lund, but the last few time we were there we upgraded to the 30 hp yamaha 4 strokes and crest liner boat. Much nicer. With only a 30 hp engine the boats were a little under powered, but they're much more boat than the lunds - wider, heavier, more stable etc. 4 people might be a bit croweded, but certainly manageable.

I know they also have at least one pontoon boat - but I'm not aware of their rental arrangements.

Good luck and let me know how you make out. We're planning our trip for thanks giving this year. We'll be going out of sturgeon falls and fishing the upper french river. I'd really appreciate it if you let us know how the bite is when you go. thanks.

Rob V