Someone Found a Good Use for Cormorants

carp-starter

Amazing. In Japan they use the birds to their benefit. Here are PICS showing how. But here in Ontario, I say – get rid of them and $crew P3TA and all the good doers. I wonder why “friends of trees”, etc are not complaining about the damage the birds are doing.

http://phototravels.net/japan/ukai-cormorant-fishing.html

carp-starter

Been there, watched it. It's a blast to watch. To those grossed out, well, it's like your hunting dog bringing back the bird you just shot. The cormorant doesn't eat the fish, it holds it in it's mouth as the Ukai fishermen have a special ring around the neck to prevent them from swallowing the tasty smelt like fish. The cormorants nip an area to stop the fish and to get a bit of the fatty oil in them. The fish have a sweet oil in them that make them so popular. Deep fried or BBQ roasted, ummm yummy memories.

Perfect scenario for the term work smarter not harder! Get the birds to locate and catch the fish for you!

Thanks

Edited by HearingFish

Ive seen this fishing in a few documentaries on Tv over the years and have always remembered it since its so unusual. A particular skill is needed to get the birds back to the boat right after they catch a fish because after a while the birds learn that if they are fast neough they can manage to swallow the smaller fish before being pulled back to the boat.

Looks very interesting, National Geographic material, I just don't understand why they don't use nets to scoop up the fish. Is it just about tradition, or is there another reason?

Although I believe it's mostly for tradition but if you think about the overall scheme of things there are benefits to this. There is a good balance of natural resource management here that could be learned elsewhere in the world.

If all the fishermen were out with gill nets then there would be overfishing without a doubt.

Local area would suffer in the long run as the fish would probably not be able to rebound.

It gives the fish population a chance to as the cormorant can only catch so many as the cormorants are on a type of leash.

It also provides the local area a tourist attraction providing more money to the economy. I don't think it would be as interesting a picture to have a guy scooping up fish from a net. (personal opinion only)

Cormorants population are then regulated by the fishermen and government.

It's all about balance.