Rideau River Bass Report - Sept. 2 - 4th

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

DAY ONE (SUNDAY)

Got to spend a few days on the River lately, and fishing has been extremely good.

Sunday allowed me the opportunity to get out for a couple of hours with one of my best friends, and long-time fishing partners, that was up in Ottawa for the day.

The wind was howling, but we managed to put six largies in the boat (3 each), all on Booyah flipping jigs and Yum trailers.

Fish were in shallow-water mode, lurking under slop and undercut cane in less than two feet of water.

Jay's first fish from the slop..

Sept01.jpg

Mine from the cane..

Sept02.jpg

DAY TWO (MONDAY)

Got out on the river solo for 5.5 hours this day. Wind was still blowing fairly strong, but the temperature was up. Decided to put the trolling motor down directly after launching, and work an entire shoreline. It paid off.

In 5.5 hours I put 32 largies in the boat!! (This sets a new record for this stretch of the river, as previously my Dad and I had put 30 in the boat in a day..)

All fish were extremely shallow again, many sitting in water under a foot deep, and all were caught on the flipping jig.

This shoreline was a tad bit tough to fish, as it was strewn with tree trunks, stumps and branches. (Had to have a quick foot on the trolling motor!) Don't think many folk dare fish in this shallow, but it definitely paid off!

Here is the water I was fishing..

Sept03.jpg

This spot was no more than 10-inches deep, but held the biggest fish of the day..

Sept04.jpg

Most would be surprised that such shallow water would hold fish, but it most certainly does. The more surprising fact is 75% of the fish rush out and grab the jig before it reaches bottom on the initial pitch! They are definitely built for speed!

DAY THREE (TUESDAY)

Got out for three hours this day before heading back to Ottawa. Winds were less severe, but blowing from a different direction. Affected the fish somewhat I found.

Landed seven largies, but missed one dandy of a fish that would of went 4.5lbs + !

Again, all fish were shallow and all on the flipping jig.

Sept05.jpg

Catch you again, buddy..

Sept06.jpg

Another great time on the river! Landed 41 largies for 10.5 hours work in total..(And the fishing is just starting to heat up!)

Until next time.

Good Fishing,

Justin