Looks like the MNR is taking declining Walleye stocks Seriously

Toronto_Angler

Got this off the OFAH website

http://www.ofah.org/News/index.cfm?ID=3&am...Doc&DID=362

O.F.A.H. partners plan major walleye stocking program

Congratulations to the Ontario Government for helping to increase fishing opportunities

This week, the Ontario government delivered some great news that will help the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (O.F.A.H.) and its partners stock walleye in parts of southern Ontario where the walleye fishery has declined. In partnership with the O.F.A.H., the McGuinty government is investing $100,000 to increase walleye stocking. ( Read M.N.R. release "Province Increases Angling Opportunities for Walleye" )

"The O.F.A.H. is pleased that Minister Ramsay and his staff support our interest in increasing walleye fishing opportunities in Ontario," said O.F.A.H. Executive Director, Mike Reader. "Support from the Ontario government is the critical first step in pursuing the O.F.A.H. plan for community-supported, partnership-driven walleye hatchery programs across the province. We are proud to participate as a leading partner in another major fisheries improvement program with the Ministry of Natural Resources." In most situations, walleye populations in southern Ontario are not producing as many fish as they once did. Invading species such as zebra mussels, as well as the introduction of bluegill and black crappie in some waterways, have dramatically reduced natural reproduction due to predation. Funding from the government will help support walleye stocking at the fingerling stage, which presents stronger survival rates than stocking walleye fry.

Walleye are considered Ontario's number one favorite sport fish that provide tremendous social and economic opportunities across the province. For example, Rice Lake's walleye fishery alone generates $50 million a year for the Peterborough area economy. Restoring Ontario's walleye population is just one of the many conservation partnerships spearheaded by the O.F.A.H. Other fisheries improvement initiatives include:

* O.F.A.H./Toronto Sportsmen's Show Ringwood Fish Culture Station where millions of trout and salmon will be raised;

* The Lake Ontario Atlantic Salmon Restoration Program, in partnership with the M.N.R., Banrock Station Wines, LCBO, Canadian Sport Fishing Industry Association and others, is bringing back a lost ecological treasure and improving our coldwater streams;

* O.F.A.H./M.N.R. Invading Species Awareness Program is recognized internationally for our work in combating the spread of aquatic invaders such as zebra mussels, goby, spiny water flea, and sea lamprey;

* Community Stream Steward Program, hosted by the O.F.A.H., works with landowners and volunteers on local cold-water stream restoration projects that support our fisheries and healthy waterways; and

* Advocacy for effective cormorant control programs.

With over 81,000 members and 655 member clubs, the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is leading fishing, hunting and conservation organization in Ontario.

-30-

Jeremy Holden

O.F.A.H. Fisheries Biologist

(705) 748-6324 Robert Pye

Communications Coordinator

(705) 748-6324

maybe I am seeing this the wrong way but $100,000 not 100 million but 100,000 bucks

that will pay the guy in charge 1 years salary but not much more and that's for one year..what about next year

walleye brings in every year $50 million a year for the Peterborough alone and they want to help with $100,000

I am underwhelmed or am I reading it wrong

maybe I am seeing this the wrong way but $100,000 not 100 million but 100,000 bucks

that will pay the guy in charge 1 years salary but not much more and that's for one year..what about next year

walleye brings in every year $50 million a year for the Peterborough alone and they want to help with $100,000

I am underwhelmed or am I reading it wrong

I guess if the money is going to the program and not into administration it would be okay. Then again this is the government we are talking about so chances are the money will be wasted somewhere down the line :wallbash:

M.N.R is a department trhat is badly underfunded. Anglers volunteer hours might save the fishery's in the future. Ringwood is all volunteer's and there working all the time to keep the chinook fishery going in Lake O, So roll up your sleeves and help where you can, I know I'll be helping out at ringwood if there is a need.

M.N.R is a department trhat is badly underfunded. Anglers volunteer hours might save the fishery's in the future. Ringwood is all volunteer's and there working all the time to keep the chinook fishery going in Lake O, So roll up your sleeves and help where you can, I know I'll be helping out at ringwood if there is a need.

It's thanks to all the tireless volunteers and private donators that our industry is still going strong. If we had to rely on the government we would have no fishing industry left.

Licence money - good question - where does the money go???

It is about time that public books are open to the public and a Government to be run like a buisiness - and all involved are accountable.....

Sorry - was having a bad dream

100000 grand equals how many walleye? and what lakes? I cant imagine $100 000 would do much help a major fishing area such as the kawarthas

About 33,000 ... I believe that stocking sized pond raised walleye sell for about $3.00 each. Plenty for a Kawartha lake; but not for the whole chain, let alone all of the other lakes in Ontario.

Scott Martin in Caledonia probably raises more walleye than the MNR and probably for a lot less money too.

Sounds like more of a vote buying scheme than a real or even partial solution to any fishery improvement.

I would think a hundred thousand dollars would buy about 110 thousand fry. That would at least feed some of the crappy in rice lake.

I saw a survey that sai dit cost 706thoussand to buy 830 thousand walleye fry for an anual stocking program in the US.

Edited by jedimaster

I would think a hundred thousand dollars would buy about 110 thousand fry. That would at least feed some of the crappy in rice lake.

I saw a survey that sai dit cost 706thoussand to buy 830 thousand walleye fry for an anual stocking program in the US.

It depends on the size of the walleye. I was speaking with Al Davis a few years ago when he was first trying to get walleye for Baptiste Lake. The pond raised walleye from the Quinte area sell for about $0.50 an inch. Fall walleye are usually about 6" long so that worked out to $3.00 per fish. I guess a spring stocking would be cheaper, but the smaller fish would have a higher mortality rate than the 6" inchers and may not offer as much value for the money.

Also, if Scott Martin is still raising walleye at the ponds owned by Dicks; than he is probably able to produce fish for a lot less than $0.50 an inch. If the MNR is raising them themselves that I doubt they will be any cheaper... probably ever more expensive.

The formula that Al Davis gave me for ideal stocking was three 6" fish per acre, which worked out to 15,000 fish per year for Baptiste. Most of the Kawartha Lakes are larger than Baptiste so they would require more than 15,000 fish per year for ideal stocking levels per the formula that Al Davis was using.

$100k in government speak means that they will spend $65k in administration charges to get the cheque cut wiht which they will overpay $45k for a white 6cyl. ford pickup, with rubber floor mats and no AC.

Then the truck will gather dust until the tory/tories are elected to actually pay some guy to drive the thing.

We'd all be better off if we started a cricket team.

That's the way I see it.

Here is a thought. Why not organize our selves into a private restocking group and apply to the goverment for grants to help fund a restocking programme as well as using private funded dollars by organizing catch and release derbies on the lakes we stock.......nah that makes way to much sense. It would never work.

Edited by jedimaster