good day on the Grand

fatherof3

Went down to fish the Grand and Nith with my youngest.Turned out to be a very good afternoon with a lot of bass caught by both of us including his pb caught all on his own.

100_0206.jpg

100_0207.jpg

He was very proud of himself as was I. It seemed like every spot we tried we caught something.Here are a few more.Nothing huge but fun in the rapids.

100_0208.jpg

100_0209.jpg

100_0210.jpg

100_0211.jpg

Here was part of our view of the Grand.

100_0212.jpg

100_0213.jpg

100_0214.jpg

Now for my question.Under the bridge that is in the last pic were 2 of the biggest pike I have ever seen in the Nith river.They were in about 3-4 feet of water hugging the bridge support. The only things they were at all interested in were a rattlin' rap and the small bass this kid was catching 10 feet away. I did not have any minnows.I want these fish! What might work to get them or was it just the time of day? I might go back tonight and try again with minnows.Any thoughts would be helpful.Thanks and hope you enjoyed the read

Hard to beat a spinner bait ( safety pin kind) for Pike.

I've enjoyed all your Grand reports, and love seeing that red devil in action.( I have'nt used one for years!!!. )

note to self... try the red devil again for kicks.

Sometimes the oldies, are the best.

Great fishing report !!!! well that looked like a fun fishing trip with the little guy, :clapping::w00t: its great when you are kept busy with those fiesty smallies, very nice scenery shots as well it looks like a greta spot to fish & swim,its nice and clear as well...i think that you should use a small rapala,for those pike under the brige,they are prob feeding on lots of minnows & creeh chubs,so a small or medium rapala will be the magic bait. B):canadian: ..good-luck and let us know how you do...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

nice job gotta love those river smallies the fight even harder than lake ones.as for your question not many pike can resit cotton cordells ripplin redfin if they do start give it the twitch.not a light twitch but really snap it.

Great report....times two! Congrats to your son on his new PB. I've had the same issues with a large pike in my area as well. I saw him in the shallows for 5 days in a row during the day. Bewteen bly and I, we threw everything we had at him...spinners, crankbaits, live minnows, you name it! finally on the 5th day, he attacked a jointed shad rap well after dark and I brought him in. Here's a pic of that guy...

gallery_60_23_18401.jpg

Dont give up!! Keep on tryin...it feels twice as good when you know you've been tryin to get the same fish for a while!

Thanks again for the tips guys and Cliff, I don't think I will be giving up as I snuck out to try a little night fishing for them after everyone went to bed.Lol,that is 3 times in one day.Didn't get anything but will be trying everyones tips today.