Happy Birthday Hayden

TennesseeGuy

August 3 we arrived at the pickup for a visit at Angler's Kingdom. Hayden Geary turned 5 years old yesterday, August 16.

Here's a shot of the bridge that spans Nungesser River

IMG_1764.jpg

In 1976 my two sons and I fished this spot from shore and it produced several walleyes

IMG_1766.jpg

Our cargo rode this baby across the portage

IMG_1771.jpg

My wife and I got to camp late Friday afternoon, enjoyed a delicious meal in the camp dining room and Hayden

offered to take me out for some walleye catching. Even though we were stuffed from a huge meal, Hayden decided

to take along a bag of snacks for our outing. Hayden untied the boat from the dock and got us underway

IMG_1775.jpg

Heading away from the dock

IMG_1777.jpg

Hayden instructed me to move to the front of the boat so we could make it through the cut which was about 15" deep.

He got us through by putting the power trim to good use.

IMG_1783.jpg

We found the hump and we're marking fish

IMG_1786.jpg

Heading back to camp after boating a few walleyes and a couple of small pike. It was a good start to a fine trip.

IMG_1789.jpg

Hayden working a pike. Kevin's hat was a gift from a piano player at a house of ill repute in Toronto

IMG_1795.jpg

She's about ready. Get the net

IMG_1796.jpg

A proud 4 year old angler and his catch

IMG_1798.jpg

Our gang, from left: TG, Ms TG, Kyle (Norton on board) Denise, Marie and Larry. Kyle lives in Norton, Ohio and

Larry lives in Geneva Illinois. Somehow the guys have managed to fish at least one week together each season

beginning around 1992. This was the first trip for the ladies to join us and they were a joy to have in camp. They

are eager to return to AK.

IMG_1809.jpg

When putting the trip together I suggested that the guys would do the bulk of the kitchen chores and here are Norton

& TG keeping my promise.

IMG_5114.jpg

Heading out on last day after spending 8 nights in camp. Donavon is hauling our gear to the landing

IMG_1813.jpg

Near Rend Lake, Illinois on the way home we passed this weight lifting camp for bad boys.

IMG_1821.jpg

We had a great stay and were treated like royalty by camp personnel. Super high temperatures the week or so

before we arrived had put fish down and off the bite, but we had no trouble finding enough walleyes to eat and

we boated several between 20 & 26 inches. Our biggest pike was a 42 incher. We just didn't quite get into the

numbers and size that we had hoped for. The lake is a beauty and holds lots of huge walleyes and huge pike.

We marked them in a number of spots. Nungesser is a deeper lake than I usually fish and it's apparent that I

have lots to learn about fishing deep water. I'll be giving myself the opportunity to improve.

Thanks for a great week. Hayden, have a great year five.

Norma and I had planned to spend a second week in camp, but our special young friend, his sister and his dad were not able to join us due to medical issues. We'll be trying again, if not this season, we'll do it in 2008.

Great report Connie. Glad to hear you had some fun in the north again. Thanks for the pics.

Any plans for the fall yet? I unfortunitly have to miss my 2 weeks in the north this year as I couldn't get the time off when the rest of the group could. So I'll be depending on everyone elses reports from the north to make it thru the fall season and spend my time on the home waters instead.

Mike

Smokey, how timely of you to ask about a fall trip. Two hours ago I put together a group of four for a September 29 flyin to Little Vermilion. Permission notes are signed by wives and we're set to go.

Dustin, Hayden is property of Angler's Kingdom. He wears his life jacket and helmet for driving his personal 4wheeler all day, every day.

Camp Chef, I've found that most camp owners won't offer fishing advice unless they're asked. Many have offered in the past and been shot down by guests who turn away from advice and want to do their own thing. I suggest asking to have a map marked for some close, easy to fish, spots. Kevin will probably be willing to have 2 or 3 boats of first timers follow him to some good fishing. It's a good way to find out where the rocks are. After a couple of days have Kevin take you on a longer trip to the other end of the lake to the really great spots. Plan on a shore lunch with several boats of other camp members. Camp owners want guests to have success on their lake and most are willing to go all out to make your stay a good one.

I was given a great tour of the lake and was given lots of fishing information for future trips. It was a learning experience and I had lots to learn about a body of water that was new to me. Maybe I'll be better next time.

We always love advice on new water,especially from someone who fishes it every day.We're going into camp late on Friday and Kevin said he'll have something hot and tasty for us to eat. Sounds like the perfect time to get to know each other and do some map marking over a bottle or two of good wine. We usually fish deep water lakes on our fall trips and have often had to haul the big ones out of 30 feet or better.3/4 and 1 oz jigs are usually necessary especially if the chop is substantial. How long is the trip from red lake to the landing?

Bryon, it's 32 miles on the Nungesser Road. All but about the last 6 miles are paved and the dirt road isn't bad. PM me your e-mail address and I'll come up with directions and a photo or two of the ramp you'll use.

According to that Marc Thorpe guy and TennesseeGuy you picked a lame week of moons for your trip. There's a new moon the week before and a full moon the week after your trip. Remedy that by staying three weeks.

Connie,

How was the water levels at Nungesser? I'm coming up in 2 weeks and counting the days. Last year the water was the lowest it's been since I have been going up [7 yrs] - we 'found' a lot of new rocks we had never known existed before.... traveling though the flats was at 3 ft. Any other tidbit's on fishing conditions? Sounds like the conditions were not ideal for you that week. My group likes it cold and overcast - combine this with some select spots on the East end of the lake, and the fishing can be extremely good, both in size and quantity.

Gomba, the lake has more to offer than I took. Next time. The water level was good when we arrived, fell a bit during the week and we had a mother of a rain when we left last Saturday morning. It should be in great shape for your week.

Temps are down this week and fishing is good from what I hear. It's been a bit windy.

Hi Connie

Hayden says thanks for the great pics and he enjoyed fishing with you.

He had a wonderful birthday.

His favourite present was a remote control truck with a boat and trailer.

Unfortunately the boat wasn't fast enough in the water.

It's okay dad got a kick out of it.

Deb and Seanna are in Thunder Bay so it's just us guys

Hayden is really getting into pike fishing.

We spent 5 hours casting and trolling today.

Just a bunch of 30 somethings but we had fun.

Finally calm after 6 days of 30mph+ winds.

Cooling off and the fish are back on the bite.

DJ and his parents caught some big walleye last evening and today.

Thanks again for visiting, it was fun.

Connie my freind what a good report! :thumbsup_anim:

Glad to see ya had the "Bosses" to keep you guys inline. Sorry to hear about the special guest having to cancel, I was really pulling for them.

Did you and Kyle miss Jim's pancakes? I miss them!

The little man at the helm amazes me, what an awesome site!

Tell the Mrs. I send my love :D

Be well my freind

Whopper