More boating safety

Big Cliff

So you are smart and always have your PFD on or at least close by so you can put it on if you think you need it but how many of you have your whistle or flash light attached?

Because I often fish in the evening and alone, I always wear my PFD and I have my whistle attached but I think I'll attach my flash light too. Might even try to track down one of those small strobe lights.

This is a good story with a happy ending but it sure could have been different.

This was copied from the 680 news site.

Teens back on land after boat capsized

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 04:05 PM

By: 680News staff

Toronto - Two teens are back on land after their boat capsized on Lake Ontario last night near the island airport.

"When you have two people that are learning how to sail and one falls overboard, which we know happened, it's quite possible the other person just lost control of the sail...it's quite windy out there and the boat capsized," a police sergeant told CTV News.

A nearby boater spotted one of the boys in the water and brought him back to shore.

But the second teen was in the water for about 40 minutes while rescuers tried to find him in the dark. They were successful because they heard the sound of his whistle.

He is now being treated for minor hypothermia.

Very good point

Even the crackable chemical lights are great dont need batteries just tie it off on the life jacket somewhere

Strobes are very effective and can be seen from a very great distance

Thanks for posting this

Peter

Hypothermia is a real threat in the summer on the Great Lakes.

Auto-inflateables are the way to go.

Anyone use an EPIRB or GPIRB?

Tony

If you like to put faith in Autos that is a good thing im sure they are at least 99.99999% effective but for me personnely I put up with discomfort and good old fashioned closed cell flotation its just the mechanic in me that knows no matter how well its made sooner or later it fails and with such a device failure is not an option

Very good point

Even the crackable chemical lights are great dont need batteries just tie it off on the life jacket somewhere

Strobes are very effective and can be seen from a very great distance

Thanks for posting this

Peter

Great point Peter. Those crackable chemical lights are pretty inexpensive. I've got whistles on my lifejackets and will be adding those lights as well. A couple of dollars to possibly save someones life, good deal.

Great post Cliff!

Edit - My lifejackets have reflective patches which would help if a light was to hit you. Having a light to start which my get you out of the water faster. imo.

Edited by fishnsled

I put up with discomfort and good old fashioned closed cell flotation

This is precisely why myself and I'm sure many others, are guilty of not wearing a PFD 100% of the time on the water. It sucks casting lures with a clumsy foam jacket on, period.

The auto-inflateables use hydrostatic inflators. Meaning they only fire when submerged. While I agree there is more risk in something breaking that has moving parts, it's less risky than not wearing a PFD at all. They are coastguard approved, that has to say something about the reliability of the technology used in these new devices.

Tony