catching bass can be "more than fun"!

gforce

was casting a small beatle-spin this weekend, at the cottage, off my dock.

i hooked into a smallie ( about 8-9" ). He took a jump and I commented on how fiesty he was and decided to reel him in and release him.

got him about 6 feet from the dock and he took a dive..... wow! this sucker had some fight!

bent my rod over, so, stood up and watched my rod bend under the dock....

"quite the smallie I laughed" as my dad watched.

this sucker was not moving, so, I pulled to see if he was wrapped around a dock weight line.... nope it moved....

I pulled hard and pulled out a muskie with my bass almost down its throat!!!

WOW! COOL.

I could have let him swallow the bass, but, I figured he may have died with the lure jammed down there, so, I yanked the smallie out of his mouth.

The muskie made another hit on him and I pulled the bass out.... the muskie swam away...

The smallie was covered in a mess of 10mm gashes all over his body... I am sure he will survive!

Decided to throw on a 8" gold williams spoon. Casted and the muskie followed it a few times. Made some attempts to get him to bite, but, no luck.

Never really got a full look at him, he was big. I figure the muskie was about 40 inches and perhaps 20-30 lbs.

fun stuff.. only ever saw this stuff on videos... now i have seen it for real!

Enjoy!

-G

We arrived at a camp we went to on the Georgian Bay one time as another group was ending their stay. They had caught some nice bass and were showing us them, one about 19-20 inches had teeth marks from the gill plates back, just cut up from were a muskie had grabbed it while the guy was landing it.

He said the hook wasn`t in the ski, but it wouldn`t let go until he got it along side the boat, just opened it`s mouth and swam away. Saw some huge fish up there years ago.

Thats awesome. Might want to invest in some fake bass lures :). I've had it happen with pike and walleye, I can't imagine seeing a 40" muskie doing it:

1116817099_9d51744261.jpg

This was your picture of a pike and walleye on the same lure? I have seen it before in a fishing book i bought. The picture was used to illustrate the effectivness of crank baits. Was the pike actually hitting the walleye?

Sean

Yep same as g-forces - the walleye was caught and then the pike attacked the walleye. The pike was never hooked, it just didn't want to let go. These big fish (muskie, pike) like wounded fish (which is why lots of baits try to imitate that) and a fish being reeled in fits the bill. Its definitely one of those 'holy cow - did I just see that' kinda moments when it happens to you, at least it was for me.

Just wondering if the publishers of the book paid you for that pictiure? Also if the pike was attacking the walleye, then the author misrepresented the picture. He suggested that both fish were hitting the lure. Either way it is still a great book. Cant remember the title off hand though.

Sean

Cool, it brings back memories when my older brother and I were fishing the lower river below hasting dam in a boat. He hooks on to a small fish, starts reeling it in then it takes off like a shot taking line, after 5 minutes a muskie flashes beside the boat and spits out the 8" rockbass with a nice 8 mm diameter hole in it's back that you could see through went lifted up to the eye. The rockbass was shaking in shock when it was put back into the water, my guess it either survived or another muskie got it soon after it went under the water.

We never got that muskie.

Have to follow Lew to get some lessons on doing Figure 8s.