Sturgeon Lake

GNODDY

Hiya,

Cant help much on locations really......but Ill wave if I see you! LOL. Going out Saturday evening and again Sunday morning.

I believe they get 'skis along the shore on the south side just east of Snug Harbour....start where the channel markers finish when coming from Lindsay. Apparently both pics and skis in there. My father got a 20" ski there a few years ago on a flour red #3 blue fox, so they are there somewhere. Troll to the point where Kennedy bay is (if you have a map. If not, Kennedy bay is a small cove on the south shore...has a small marina tucked in there.).......cant guarantee you anything though.....my luck in that lake (along with most others I fish in :whistling: is minimal)

Wave if you see us :)

Sorry I cant be much more help......

Bill

Geoff....

If you catch anything, please dont tell me. I usually get skunks or tiddlers and if you hit it big Ill be peeved

LOL.

I have never launched at Lindsay.......its free though. I got a seasons pass at Snug Harbour. The few times I have been there, it has not been busy and I have not had to wait.....$10 to launch and park.

Tight lines and GL!

Bill,

Is Snug before the locks or after I don't mind paying to launch if it's after the locks. I only have a 14ft tinny and I'm not to interested in going through the locks. I was talking to a local shop there and he showed me the public launch and then he mentioned there was one before the locks that you can use but then you have to travel the locks.

Geoff

water temps in goose are fairly high, but cliff can elaborate on that,

Kennedy bay is a good starting point for ski's and pics lots of irregular bottom structure, i live beside mclarens marina and most of the shorline from there up to emily creek will produce skis off the weed edges, sturgeon point another good area, there is also a public launch in thurstonia /dunsford about a 5 min tin missle ride to emily or kennedy bay, if you show up in dunsford look for the house with a gold truck and a silver tiburon most likely drinking beer on the dock and i can fix you up with a map a nd some other good spots at least on sunday i get to work saturday

Boy, there are so many variables, it would really help if I knew more about what equipment you have....GPS, depth finder, charts?????

Launching in Lindsay in the river is OK, but it is a long slow trip down the river to the lake, reduced speed on the upper portion of the river, 10 km/hr.

Sunday winds are out of the West at 15 km. I would consider launching at the Moorings Marina on Snug Harbour Rd. That puts you close to where you will want to be fishing. Take Hwy 36 North from Lindsay watch for Snug Harbour Rd. on your left. Just follow Snug Harbour Rd (about 2.5 km) to the marina. Fishing is starting to pick up since the carp die off seems to have run it's course. I think it's $10.00 or $15.00 for in/out and parking for the day.

Where to fish..... wellas suggested earlier the South East shore from the marina towards Kennedy Bay would be a good place to start but I would also consider Ball Point and down the Long Beach (West) shore. There are some well established weed beds along that area with some deeper water just off those weeds.

I'd like to be able to help you more but until I know more.....

If you have any problems or want to give me a call, home is 705-328-0750 or if I am on the water, cell # 705-879-1765. I live 4 doors from the marina, look for a grey boat house with a burgendy door.

try googling fish-hawk maps, they have one for sturgeon lake. find emily creek south of bobcaygeon and fish the creek mouth. mainly the south point right at the lake, tight to the shore very deep weed line. i caught 3 three muskies on three casts, biggest 8lbs but a memorable evening none the less. any minnow imitations should work. caught a few eyes there too casting.

Boy, there are so many variables, it would really help if I knew more about what equipment you have....GPS, depth finder, charts?????

Launching in Lindsay in the river is OK, but it is a long slow trip down the river to the lake, reduced speed on the upper portion of the river, 10 km/hr.

Sunday winds are out of the West at 15 km. I would consider launching at the Moorings Marina on Snug Harbour Rd. That puts you close to where you will want to be fishing. Take Hwy 36 North from Lindsay watch for Snug Harbour Rd. on your left. Just follow Snug Harbour Rd (about 2.5 km) to the marina. Fishing is starting to pick up since the carp die off seems to have run it's course. I think it's $10.00 or $15.00 for in/out and parking for the day.

Where to fish..... wellas suggested earlier the South East shore from the marina towards Kennedy Bay would be a good place to start but I would also consider Ball Point and down the Long Beach (West) shore. There are some well established weed beds along that area with some deeper water just off those weeds.

I'd like to be able to help you more but until I know more.....

If you have any problems or want to give me a call, home is 705-328-0750 or if I am on the water, cell # 705-879-1765. I live 4 doors from the marina, look for a grey boat house with a burgendy door.

Moorings at Snug Harbour is where I go in. We tried it once and both my wife and I agree that its suits us just fine. Hence we bought a seasons pass there. The guy there is a great guy to deal with (Jim). He was charging us $10 to launch and park. The trip up the river is why we went there in the first place. Glad we found it.

My parents used to live at Kennedy Bay so you would think I would know where to fish but alas....I lived a long way from there and did not get up as often as I would have liked so thats why I couldnt help much. Just knew some of the general areas. I was told that Goose Bay is really good for bass but have never tried it, as I was warned not to go anywhere near the good spots without an electric motor....so I have stayed on the outskirts of it with only a few sunfish.....

Thanks Cliff for also pointing us in the right directions....

Bill

Hi Guys, thanks alot for all of your responses, I am going to launch at Snug I dont mind paying a few bucks to launch. I do have a fishfinder no GPS as of yet. I really appreciate all of the suggestions you guys are great. Hopefully I can post a few pics tomorrow night.

Cheers

Gnoddy

LOL, no Roy, I didn't paint the door yet, thats why it is burgendy! Actually that is a project for some weekend this summer, paint it white.

Camp Chef: This Sturgeon Lake is in the Lindsay, Fenelon Falls, Bobcaygon area. Actually, you can access all three without going through any locks.

Gnoddy: If I'm not too late with this, if you stop by, I'll lend you my GPS for the day, I have several spots marked on it that should put you in to some water that will produce.

Bassboy: next time you are up here, give me a shout, I have all the marine charts on the computer and would be happy to sit down and go over them. If you have a GPS we could even upload some spots for you.

ec: we just have to hook up at some point, we've probably seen each other on the water a few times and didn't even realize it.

Any of you fishing Sturgeon Lake, keep my home and cell phone numbers handy. If you have any problems while out on the water don't be shy to give me a call.

And so cometh my Sturgeon report. I am putting it in here because there really is not anything to report....at least fish wise anyway. A few idiots on the lake last night, including one guy in a float plane that taxied to within 50 feet of us drifting and did his take off run beside us. I could almost read his wristwatch LOL.

Went out last night for a few hours and got diddly.......skunks smell really revolting dont they? LOL

Parked the boat at Moorings for the night, and went out again this morning after staying at my parents in Lindsay. I had a few bites......my wife got a mid sized perch, a sunfish and a small bronzeback that took one look at the boat as she was bringing it in and virtually spit the hook up onto the bow :). Lake was on the rough side this morning too.

Where did we try? We were in the beginning of Goose Bay for a while, east and west of Moorings....then we went towards Bobcaygeon and fished the north side of the lake where there is a bed of grass next to a small inlet. Tried the shoals around McConnel(?) island and then trolled a bit from just east of McCLarens marnina, up passed Kennedy Bay and towards the channel. I did have a nice tap on my 7" Orange and Gold Rapala last night but did not see a follow. Also tried the west shore going towards Fenelon (to get out of the wind this morning).

CLiff......I do have a GPS but its an older one with no maps....so uploading isnt really an option. The charts sound good though. I have the transport Canada set....Saw the burgundy door but did not see anyone on the dock :) Thanks (and I am sure not just from myself too) for the phone number and the offer of help if needed. Nice to know there are people around like that.

I did end up with a trailer load of weeds this afternoon when I came out.....the wind had blown all the loose weeds into the launch at moorings....so I guess I did come out of the lake with something LOL.

So there we have it......my Non-Report! Hopefully Gnoddy will have a better report.

Bill

Sorry about the late entry but if your going to go for skies try trolling larger grammas, cisco kids and depth raiders just of the drop offs along the shore between kennedy bay and emily creek ( i caught 3 skies on tues night all were over 40"). Verulams good for 2-3 oz spinnerbaits and bucktails especially black and white and try off muskrat island between 15- 25' of water.

Cheers jeff

Well Boys and Girls,

I appreciate everyones advice on where to go but it didnt help much today. It started out at the marina went pretty well. Headed left form the marina (Snug Harbour) rippin some bucktails and nothing. Started to get a lil rough nothing major so then we trolled a few things and holy smokes talk about rough. I have a cottage on Rice and that lake gets pretty rough but man o man the waves were comin over the back of the boat. So we headed out of there and on the way home stopped in Scugy for a bit. We got out, it rained and the guy I was with wasn't into it so we just headed home. Got wet, a lil tired and not even a follow on my new muskie setup. Geeezzzz thats fishin for ya. I do plan on going back to strugeonthough sometime before summers out it looked really nice. lake and weed structure a lot clearer than rice I couldnt believe it for a Kawartha mind you Rice and now Sturgeon are the only 2 Kawarthas I have fished in a long time.

Cheers

Geoff

Sorry to hear you guys didn't do better but that is why it's called fishing. Sturgeon can get quite rough and very quickly but you can laways find places to get out of the wind. That's why I suggested the Long Beach area on the West shore.

Next time you are up this way, let me know and I'll try to hook up with you and if nothing else let you know what's been happening and where.

Thanks Cliff....

And if you dont mind Ill probably take you up on that....

I did indeed hit the Long Beach area. Piddled around there for an hour trying this spot and that. We were also considering going right to fenelon at one point but headed back to Moorings instead. Still a nice day out on the water anyway.....

Thanks for all your help!

Bill

Just saw this post now guys.....too bad...

Next time your headed to sturg.....pm me.....I dock my boat at snug harbour, and fish there at least twice a week. All last week the fishing was really hot, but it seems like it died over the weekend.

And yes.....sturgeon can get very rough. I've had some pretty hairy rides across the "Sturgeon Triangle" a number of times. There is always a good wind blowing across that part of the lake.....any direction will throw it into a death trap.

If any of you's are launching out of snug, shoot me a pm and maybe we can hook up to share some info.....I fish there all the time.

Sinker