Simcoe Monster Smallmouth and Kawartha Update-Pics!

Slayingm

Sorry for the delay since my last update but I have been averaging 6 days/week on the water and double booked some days so have just not had spare time at all. The past few weeks I have had the opportunity to fish various Kawartha lakes and Simcoe a number of times and wanted to share some productive patterns and pics with you.

As I mentioned in my last update this year has been some of the best Walleye fishing I have seen in the Kawartha Lakes over the past 20 years or more. More big fish caught this year and still seeing lots of different year-class sizes of fish caught. As the water continued to get really warm over the past few weeks the week growth has really taken off with well defined deep weedlines established. Although we have taken a few fish with jerkbaits and crankbaits 95% of the fish are being caught using jigs. 1/4 oz jig heads in white/yellow/black/orange and chartreuse with various 3 and 4" twisters and 4" finesse minnow's (eg: Lunker City's finesse fish) have produced 100's of Walleye. With the water temps so warm now ripping 3/8 oz. bucktail jigs along the deep weedlines has also been extremely effective... especially in triggering fish to bite during mid day when they are inactive. Weedlines in the 10-15' range has been the best for me. Weed/sand or Weed/rock area's are key locations as are inside turns or points along the weedline. Another pattern that has taken some big fish has been dragging jigs slowly over some of the deeper rock humps/points in the lakes.

Here is a nice fish I caught using a Storm swim shad and pic of client's with a nice fish taken using a bucktail jig for the 1st time:

000_0309-25.jpg

100_0102-25.jpg

On the opening weekend of bass season I tryed to repeat our win last year of over 26.5lbs for 5 smallies but found the fishing tougher this year. We still did OK picking up a paycheque with 22.40lbs (1.8lbs behind the winner). We had to work different area's this year and found the fish shallower then last with most of our bigger fish coming in the 4 to 7' range. In-line spinners, jerkbaits and tube jigs all produced fish. Here is a pic of a couple of nice ones I'm holding up on stage:

Caseycup3-25.jpg

Since that time the fish have started to move into deeper water relating to near-shore humps and rock breaklines in the 10-16' ranges. Some of the smallmouth we have been catching are huge with a number over 5lbs including 3 fish over 6lbs!! Here are a couple of samples with some happy folks:

100_0124-25.jpg

This little guy helped his dad reel in this 5.5lb pig....

100_0127-25.jpg

Here is one of the fish that just broke the 6lb mark that I took working a jerkbait over a large rock flat:

100_0126-25.jpg

This guest has fished tournaments in the US but has never seen a smallmouth over 4lbs in his life.... well.... his son caught 3 over 4lbs dragging tubes behind the boat the Dad nailed this 6lb monster on a tube working the tip of deep point.... was really windy that day...you can see the drift sock on the lower-left to slow us down as the fish were holding on a small spot on the point....talk about excited..these guys just could not believe their eyes and must have taken a 100 pics to show the boys back home.

100_0131-25.jpg

100_0134-25.jpg

All of these bass above were released in the same area they were caught after a quick picture.

White/chartreuse spinnerbaits, tube jigs in light shad/smelt colours and darker shades of green have been working well as have various 4 and 5" jerkbaits like the X-Raps and Husky Jerk's.

If you planning a trip out on lake Simcoe make sure you check the weather conditions before heading out. The lake can really blow up and get extremely rough within minutes.... remember to be safe out there and good luck!....Greg.

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant report Greg! You sure know your stuff. You should seriously consider writting for a fishing magazine in the future. Your reports are well written and full of interesting info!

WOW...:clapping:

I just started fishing Lake Simcoe this year, great lake!

So far last Friday, I caught my PB near Georgina Isl (Very good cover when the wind is strong and coming from North)

Nothing compair to your fish, but still my PB. 5.3 lb

Hmmm.. drift sock :) Time to shop

Excellant report Greg! You sure know your stuff. You should seriously consider writting for a fishing magazine in the future. Your reports are well written and full of interesting info!

Thanks for the kind words Johnny Bass..... I have actually been asked by a couple of magazines to consider writing for them and hope to get a couple of articles out this fall/winter.

Young One: Congrats on your 5.3lb Simcoe SM.... thats a great fish for sure. Keep doing whatever your doing and you will break that 6lb mark soon!....Good luck!...Greg.

Edited by Slayingm

All of these bass above were released in the same area they were caught after a quick picture.

As much as I enjoyed reading your post and seeing your pics the sentence above gave me just as much pleasure...and I have never fished Simcoe!! It bodes well for our fishing stalk when we have such a fine example to follow.