Some Pike action

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Decided to take one of the guys at work fishing on Wednesday. He grew up fishing Nippising and loves targetting pike.We decided to go to a small lake up north where pike are a plenty.

We left around 8:00 am. We were on the water by about 10 am. It was a really over cast day and the water temps were 74 degrees. Looked promising.

We started fishing shallow first. No luck, except this bass.

smalllake1002.jpg

We also tried fishing a number of shoals with no luck. Agian. Couldn't find any bass......

I have to figure out where they are in over cast and cold front conditions. Next time I will try to SLOW down my presentation. Or I should just go back to my old school baits....

Anyways, we decide to go find deeper water and some weeds for pike. I give Ian a Husky Jerk and I was fishing with a lure I got off of E-bay. He goes got one. Brings in a pike. Its a good start. Then got one again!Brings in another pike. Then got one again! Loses it.

I'm like, if you catch one more I am switching to a husky Jerk. He catches one more and I switch!

Sure enough? I nail one. This is the first time I didn't wake up a 4:30 am and actually combed my hair and shaved.lol

smalllake1003.jpg

Then around noon or so the wind picked up. And I mean picked up! I'd say we had gusts of over 30K. Lucky we chose this lake instead of Simcoe, last minute! It was hard to fish or stay on spots. We looked for cover though it seemed there was wind coming from every direction!!!

We went into a wind blown bay and piked up a few fish. Then I decide to get out of the bay because we were going to crash into shore, though the wind was too strong for thje trolling motor. I tell ian to start the engine. We are going to troll out of here. He started the engine I ran to the back and but it in drive. We were trolling when all of a sudden I get a hit, Ian too, though Ian got bit off and I brought in my Pike. Dang!! Almost a double header!

Then we kept driving around looking for shelter with no luck. We finally find a shoreline with average wind. We work it and I nail a nice Largie. 20 inches. 3+lbs.

Smalllake2003.jpg

After that I was working some weeds and I seen a flash, my fluke was gone, set the hook and he gets off. Ian hooks a pike. Dang, almost another double header. After I cast it to the same place. Another bass, same place, another bass! I pulled in 4-5 LM bass in a very very small spot.

here is one

Smalllake2002.jpg

After that Ian had had enough, we headed in at about 6:00pm.

Here are a few of Ians better Pike.

Smalllake2001.jpg

smalllake1004.jpg

He has to definately work on his fish hold.lol these are better.

Smalllake2007.jpg

Smalllake2006.jpg

Smalllake2005.jpg

We caught a many,many pike, though suprisingly, not much bass. Only a few small ones on tubes,crank baits and flukes.I only hooked 1 smallie!

Another great day though it was COLD!!!

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass
Beauty report and fish pics Johnny sounds like non stop action despite the cold front and wind.Oh and I didn't notice a difference in the hair or facial hair :whistling: it seems when you are a little uglier you catch more fish :whistling:

MTP :clapping:

Actually , It has nothing to do with the looks. Its the fact that I had my shirt on that limited the quality of fish caught! I caught about 10 pike and about 8 bass with only 1 being decent.

But we had arctic conditions so the shirt had to stay on. Apparently its gonna rain too this weekend, so its either Niagra region or another shirt filled report and probably small fish! :unsure: