There's some truth to this.

It sure is. Last week went in a NOFRILLS to buy zooms yellow/orange peppers for preserving. Decided to buy some peaches (6). I get home and they are $9.69! Can’t be. Rough math maybe $5or so. Went back and a woman told me to do the math!!! what the hell I DID THE MATH!!! Be careful, the price may be right at the stand but not at the register. Those prices are programmed and if they miss it YOU a pay extra. Who knows how many people did not check their receipt, especially if they had many items. 

• Sad 1

I will start checking my receipts after reading that ketchenany thank you, (I love your handle),  I used to and for some reason got away from doing it.

Couple weeks back, no frills as well, three rolls of paper towels, eleven bucks and change, I couldn't believe it, used to buy twice that many for half that much, same brand.

It certainly pays to shop smart and pay attention to your receipts and the cash while they're scanning.
I just came across this receipt from a couple weeks back while cleaning out my plastic grocery bags before putting them back in the car. I have bins full of them as I never used to throw them out. So this was from Freshco, I bought 18 items and every single one was on sale. Total sale was $63.69, total savings was $50.52 and I also earned $8.50 in points. Bottom line is that I saved just over 51% on the regular price of 114.21. I always stock up on items I regularly use when they go on sale.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Stopped a a well known apple orchard east of meaford this morning, when I saw the price of some of the apples,  I got back in the car and drove away.  $85 for honey crisp.  Bite me.

That's actually not a bad price, considering a bushel of apples weighs between 40 and 45 lbs. 

Fresh Honey Crisp (not last year's holdovers from cold storage) are in the supermarkets right now for about $4 a pound. Knowing that they're right from that orchard, and not shipped from California or somewhere, plus you're supporting a local farmer (and the local economy)...I'd say $2 a pound is fairly reasonable..

Shopping for the lowest price isn't always the best value...

Screenshot_20240918_144337_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240918_144214_Chrome.jpg

20240918_153108.jpg

Edited by CrowMan

21 hours ago, CrowMan said:

That's actually not a bad price, considering a bushel of apples weighs between 40 and 45 lbs. 

Fresh Honey Crisp (not last year's holdovers from cold storage) are in the supermarkets right now for about $4 a pound. Knowing that they're right from that orchard, and not shipped from California or somewhere, plus you're supporting a local farmer (and the local economy)...I'd say $2 a pound is fairly reasonable..

Shopping for the lowest price isn't always the best value...

Screenshot_20240918_144337_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240918_144214_Chrome.jpg

20240918_153108.jpg

No frills had Honey Crisp for under $2 today.

54 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

No frills had Honey Crisp for under $2 today.

Last season's from cold storage or fresh picked ? Extra fancy grade ? 

Plus, I'd rather support a farmer in my neighborhood, than Galen Weston and a supplier in Quebec..

I'm only pullin' your chain because my daughter's in-laws are 3rd generation apple farmers in Thornbury...and she didn't marry my son-in-law for the money...lol. It's a tough grind being a farmer in Ontario these days.

• Like 1

Be careful at the gas station also. I noticed something was wrong on a purchase I made. I NEVER purchase higher grade gasoline except for my garden stuff, lawn mower,snowblower. Because of long storage. . .  I filled up last week and as I was putting away my receipt (I keep all of my gas purchases, have since 2016) I noticed on the last fill up (COSTCO) I purchased the expensive stuff (1.69 L) 

I always press the regular button. It could be that the pump did not make the switch from the previous purchase! I did not notice while filling up. It was only a half tank and it came to 52.00!!! 

just a thought. 

• Sad 1