Abu Revo Toro 60HS as a musky reel?

siwash

I like Tranx and Lexa..both have been problem free after several years of use and abuse. Don't know about the Abu....but I assume the "HS" model has a high speed gear ratio, which is usually best if you're primarily burning blades. Also, keep in mind, the handle length becomes a factor in terms of cranking power. If you're looking for an "all around" Musky reel, you may want to consider something with a lower gear ratio. My Tranx is 5.8:1, and my Lexa is 7.1:1...so they effectively cover most Musky presentations for me. A high ratio reel (some are as high as 8.1:1) with a short handle pulling a high-resistance bait is a recipe for saying "let's troll" after an hour of casting.

I'd get something around 6:1 if you're only going to have one reel...I also prefer low-profile reels over the beer cans, if you're doing a lot of casting.

• Like 1

great advice, thanks.. yes, I am looking for an "all around" reel... so stick to the Tranx or Lexa 400s?  I saw a 300 Lexa but I think that is not quite substantial enough if I am casting bigger baits - correct me if I am wrong.   What about the Calcutta ("beer cans"!) - I've heard good things... 

The Abu might be a great reel...I just don't have any personal experience with it. I will say this...I just spent 10 days at a camp in NW Ontario known for trophy Musky. 90% of the other anglers were hard-core Musky guys mostly from the upper mid-west US. 80% of them were running Tranx 400's. 

If most of your Musky fishing is in the Kawarthas, then a 300 size reel with 65lb braid is perfectly fine. If you plan to hunt trophies on  G Bay, the Ottawa, NW Ontario etc, a 400 size with 80lb is probably going to serve you better.

I prefer low-profile reels because of the way I cast...wrapping my fingers around the reel. I also find them less fatiguing after a day of casting, as the center of gravity is closer to the reel seat...so you're not fighting to keep the reel upright.

Just my opinion....one thing about Musky fishing, there's lots of opinions.

• Thanks 1

I have only done a bit of musky hunting and last year a few of you recommended the kawarthas and I went out once and had a musky follow which was really cool!  I think I will stick to kawarthas-size musky. Seem to be more plentiful.  Balsam, Cameron and pigeon are the lakes that I have some familiarity with, Round lake near havelock is on my radar. 

So I guess the 300s would be appropriate. Gbay skis are just to hard to get! Maybe if I get hooked on the kawartha skis I'll graduate one day to the trophies. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, siwash said:

What about the Calcutta ("beer cans"!) - I've heard good things... 

I liked the Calcutta reels and used them for years. The CT's were a good casting reel for bucktails and spinnerbaits but my usual go-to was a TE with a power handle and it was incredible for burning baits fast and working large jerk baits. I also had an Ambassador 5500 with a power handle and while a lot less expensive than a TE it worked quite well for jerkbaits. 

For trolling I found the Tekota 600LC was a good as they get. 

All just my own opinion though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Traditionally...for whatever reason...if you're right handed you fish a spinning outfit with the rod in your right hand, and reel with your left hand. With a baitcaster, right handers typically hold the rod with their left hand, and reel with their right hand. However, some folks will use their right hand to cast, and then switch the rod to the other hand to reel with their right hand. Then to make it even more confusing, some will cast with their left hand, but switch to their right hand to "figure 8" at the end of the retrieve.

Bottom line...just fish the way that's most comfortable for you. Some guys like the rod in their dominant hand, and some prefer to reel with their dominant hand. I don't think there are any "rules".

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always reeled left so I would have to do the "switch"  

is the market with those musky reels dominated by right handed reels?  

I have no problem with adapting to a new retrieval side.  I'm sure it won't be too challenging 

Keep in mind that Musky baits are larger and have more resistance, so you may want to crank with your right hand...that's why most right handed people fish with a RH baitcasting reel. Hence, why the market mostly offers RH reels. Back in the day, it was often very difficult to even find a LH baitcaster in a lot of models.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

Keep in mind that Musky baits are larger and have more resistance, so you may want to crank with your right hand...that's why most right handed people fish with a RH baitcasting reel. Hence, why the market mostly offers RH reels. Back in the day, it was often very difficult to even find a LH baitcaster in a lot of models.

Good points.  I can see your points. 

Just came across a Abu 5501 C3 paired with a 7'9" Veritas heavy on marketplace.  The seller is advertising it as a "musky" setup.  Lures up to 3oz on the rod. Seems on the light side, no?  I am sort of interested b/c I am thinking it would work for bass in heavy cover and pike too.  Maybe more versatile?   Just wondering if I could get away with this in the kawarthas and not feel like I have to upgrade to heavier setup in the near future.  The rod could definitely serve me well for the other two species I would think.. 

so, I use a St. Croix Premier MH 8 foot muskie rod, its also rated from 3/4 to 3 oz. 

I use a tranx 400A reel on it. 

if you are serious about muskie and big pike the tranx reels are worth the investment. They are strong, smooth and easy to cast. worth every penny. 

Ironically, the only muskie I have ever caught was NOT using my muskie rig, it was caught on my MH bass baitcasting rod, casting a #5 Mepps Black Fury. 

go figure lol 

20230915_150533 resized2.jpg

• Thanks 1

All I run are Revo Toro Beasts.   High gear and a low gear.   I toss all muskie baits with them (Including big blades specifically with the high gear)..  The only reel that would pull big blades better would be the Tranx 500, that thing is an inshore salt water reel and weighs about 5lbs, so no thanks...  .  I wouldn't touch a Tranx 400 with a 10ft pole after reading some of the horror stories.   They definitely aren't built like the big boy Tranx 500.    I've used a few round reels as well (Abu, Shimano Calcutta) they do the job as well.  

It really depends on how much muskie fishing you're actually going to do.  That Toro will be just fine for 90% of the lures out there.  Would I pull a big double 12 with it?  Probably not (Not like there's any reason to throw that anyhow lol).   You'd have zero issues burning 8s and 9s.   Like Lew mentioned a power handle makes all the difference when it comes to pulling high resistant baits like big bucktails).   

If it were me I'd buy something used, you're $$$ will go so much further.   Will you be chasing mostly Kawartha fish?

Edited by BillM

42 minutes ago, BillM said:

All I run are Revo Toro Beasts.   High gear and a low gear.   I toss all muskie baits with them (Including big blades specifically with the high gear)..  The only reel that would pull big blades better would be the Tranx 500, that thing is an inshore salt water reel and weighs about 5lbs, so no thanks...  .  I wouldn't touch a Tranx 400 with a 10ft pole after reading some of the horror stories.   They definitely aren't built like the big boy Tranx 500.    I've used a few round reels as well (Abu, Shimano Calcutta) they do the job as well.  

It really depends on how much muskie fishing you're actually going to do.  That Toro will be just fine for 90% of the lures out there.  Would I pull a big double 12 with it?  Probably not (Not like there's any reason to throw that anyhow lol).   You'd have zero issues burning 8s and 9s.   Like Lew mentioned a power handle makes all the difference when it comes to pulling high resistant baits like big bucktails).   

If it were me I'd buy something used, you're $$$ will go so much further.   Will you be chasing mostly Kawartha fish?

Yeah Bill kawarthas mostly.. I am shopping for used   - I'm on marketplace daily.  Considering a Lexa 400WN paired with an Okuma EVX telescopic rod (8.5)  for $350.  Not bad for a starting rod/reel combo. 

IMG_8638.png.474ae268a26ce874be9e16fc7a1850bc.png

If I was fishing the Kawarthas I'd probably pick up something in the 8-9ft range, med heavy at most.   You don't need a pool cue for those fish and it's way easier on you casting big baits all day.  My fav rod is a 9'6 telescopic MH Legend Tournament.    Makes figure 8s a breeze and loads up and helps me bury hooks.   Along with all the rods/reels/lures you need to make sure you've got a proper net and release tools (Especially hook cutters), jaw spreader, etc.   Handling these fish properly will have the biggest impact on them going back unharmed.  

Edited by BillM
  • Like 2

" Considering a Lexa 400WN paired with an Okuma EVX telescopic rod (8.5) for $350. Not bad for a starting rod/reel combo."

My buddy has that combo. If it's in good shape, that's not a bad deal,  and it will serve you well with a variety of presentations. If it's the rod rated for 2 to 8 oz and 30 to 65lb line, you don't need anything heavier for the Kawarthas.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BillM said:

If I was fishing the Kawarthas I'd probably pick up something in the 8-9ft range, med heavy at most.   You don't need a pool cue for those fish and it's way easier on you casting big baits all day.  My fav rod is a 9'6 telescopic MH Legend Tournament.    Makes figure 8s a breeze and loads up and helps me bury hooks.   Along with all the rods/reels/lures you need to make sure you've got a proper net and release tools (Especially hook cutters), jaw spreader, etc.   Handling these fish properly will have the biggest impact on them going back unharmed.  

Thanks... I got all the other necessary accessories... cutters, net etc...  9'6" seems like a telephone pole! Last time I used a long rod was for steelheading! 

Also came across an Calcutta 400 B for $190 in excellent condition.  I could go that route, swap out the standard handle for a power one, and find a decent rod for under $200 on marketplace.... I know some guys swear by the low profile but I know some of you love the Calcutta 400s

The Calcutta is definitely a step up from the Penn you posted.  I'd probably jump on that.    Finding a used muskie rod shouldn't be a big deal.

My next rod will definitely be 10ft.   It makes everything easier. 

Edited by BillM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, siwash said:

I know some guys swear by the low profile but I know some of you love the Calcutta 400s

It's all just a personal choice and everyone has a different opinion. I always preferred the larger reels but would certainly never tell anyone using a low profile that they were wrong. Sorta like the never ending debate on which hand should you crank with.

Pick whatever feels best to you and if you borrow one of each from a friend to try them out all the better.

• Like 3