Just got back from a trip down east to New Brunswick! Went down to Nackawic for the Destination Nackawic Smallmouth Open and had a blast on the St. John River! Huge variety of fish species in this body of water, Smallmouth, Yellow Perch, White Perch, Gaspereau, Chain Pickerel, Muskie & Pumpkinseeds were some that we saw or caught! We caught over 400 Smallmouth Bass in a day & a hold of practice & 2 tournament days! We had an okay result finishing 24th out of 77 teams!

Then, it was off to the Miramichi River& the Miramichi Striper Cup! Fishing was tough because of the early spring & high water temps but we still caught lots of fish in practice! Fishing was even tougher on tournament days due to funky weather & strong winds! We managed a 27th place finish out of 237 teams! Beautiful part of our country with some amazing fishing! If anyone wants more info, please PM me!IMG_7425.jpeg.5e3616b19c9d402a373df46d0d52dc8d.jpegIMG_7431.jpeg.7bf0471db42dee578a6c716715509e46.jpeg

IMG_7421.jpeg

IMG_7402.jpeg

SimplyHDR27834179.jpeg

IMG_7302.jpeg

IMG_7297.jpeg

IMG_7294.jpeg

IMG_7263.jpeg

IMG_7259.jpeg

IMG_7267.jpeg

IMG_7315.jpeg

IMG_7350.jpeg

IMG_7435.jpeg

IMG_7434.jpeg

• Like 4

Very nice fish ! A Chain Pickerel is one of my bucket list fish. Yeah, the Striper fishery is amazing out there. We did a summer road trip out to NB a few years back and fished for them in the ocean...they fight like super-size Largemouth...gill rattling head shakes on the surface !

It's a quicker drive than going to say Thunder Bay...but the food is so much better...Lobster, Oysters, Mussels, Clams..

I know the Smallmouth for the most part are considered an invasive species out there (competing with their precious Atlantic Salmon), so I assume there is no season and those were pre-spawn  ?

Dscf0156.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Very nice fish ! A Chain Pickerel is one of my bucket list fish. Yeah, the Striper fishery is amazing out there. We did a summer road trip out to NB a few years back and fished for them in the ocean...they fight like super-size Largemouth...gill rattling head shakes on the surface !

It's a quicker drive than going to say Thunder Bay...but the food is so much better...Lobster, Oysters, Mussels, Clams..

I know the Smallmouth for the most part are considered an invasive species out there (competing with their precious Atlantic Salmon), so I assume there is no season and those were pre-spawn  ?

Dscf0156.jpg

Food is almost as good as the fishing! Yeah, the Atlantic Salmon folks are not big fans of Smallies but they gaining in popularity, they more concerned about Largemouth & Crappies coming Maine nowadays! The Smallies were prespawn and the seasons are very interested down here. I do believe that no tournaments are allowed during the spawn for a couple of weeks but you can still fish for them.

• Like 3

Awesome as always David. Man, you sure know how to make a guy envious.  In my books you did very well in the tournaments. That's a lot of competition to go up against. Very nice looking chain pickerel. I used to catch them when ice fishing for perch. 

Edited by Barry Willis
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 3:46 PM, Barry Willis said:

Awesome as always David. Man, you sure know how to make a guy envious.  In my books you did very well in the tournaments. That's a lot of competition to go up against. Very nice looking chain pickerel. I used to catch them when ice fishing for perch. 

Thanks Barry! It's just that my expectations are always high! LOL As for the Chain Pickerel, disappointing because it happened during a Smallmouth tournamnet but also exciting as I don't catch a lot of those! Still took time to snap a quick pic before release!

That doesn't look like any fun at all Dave. :D
But I will state (enviously) there's a few of my bucket list fish in your post and no, Gaspereau is not of them.  ;)

Cheers :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Spiel said:

That doesn't look like any fun at all Dave. :D
But I will state (enviously) there's a few of my bucket list fish in your post and no, Gaspereau is not of them.  ;)

Cheers :)

The Gaspereau was cool as we've never seen them that big! Think of Lake Ontario Alwifes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Chong said:

The Gaspereau was cool as we've never seen them that big! Think of Lake Ontario Alwifes...

I did David and immediately thought of cut bait.  ;)

• Haha 1