Bow mounted electronics

I need to tap into the inner propeller heads in this great forum - specifically around my new Terrova trolling motor.  I bought a new Terrova p/n Terrova80/DSC/WR-60" and now I would like to add a bow mounted fish finder. 

I read the manual and there are many different options to control this motor - wireless remote that it comes with or via iphone using One Boat Network app.  Using the One Boat Network app one can also link the trolling motor to a Hummingbird fish finder and I am assuming Lowrance as well (with the adapter) and once this happens you can save waypoints to send to the motor and allow the motor to follow a specific depth.  I am assuming the unit just needs GPS and a mapping card??

Does anyone have this motor and can tell me if my assumptions are correct?  Does anyone have a bow mounted fishfinder recommendations?  I find the MinnKota web sit useless because it keeps telling you what the Terrova can do but it but does not spell out what hardware/software that you need to make it happen.   I am using a Lowrance HDS7 for my main unit.  

Thanks gentleman

Meh, I wouldn’t go with a Humminbird just because of fish finder and trolling motor linkability. 

I’d probably explore more into what your future intentions are with your fish finder. Are you intrigued by forward facing sonar? Then you won’t want a humminbird. What size of screen are you looking to buy, dependent on the size I would recommend different brands.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:41 PM, AKRISONER said:

Meh, I wouldn’t go with a Humminbird just because of fish finder and trolling motor linkability. 

I’d probably explore more into what your future intentions are with your fish finder. Are you intrigued by forward facing sonar? Then you won’t want a humminbird. What size of screen are you looking to buy, dependent on the size I would recommend different brands.

I just like the idea of being able to store waypoints via my trolling motor, backtrack feature and ability to keep the boat at a constant depth when using the trolling motor

2 hours ago, 410001661 said:

I just like the idea of being able to store waypoints via my trolling motor, backtrack feature and ability to keep the boat at a constant depth when using the trolling motor

You'll want a Humminbird sonar up front then if you want to use features such as follow the contour etc.  You'll need a lakemasters chip or use Autochart Live to create your own maps in order to use that feature.  Won't follow the contour on Navionics maps. 

(Redacted) appears im out of touch with the latest humbled minkotta tech!

as such…my personal recommendation as it relates to value for screens at the moment is a Garmin echo map 95sv. They pretty regularly go on sale for less than $1000 and contain navionics charts, side imaging down imaging, livescope enabled and network ability should you ever decide to buy multiple units.

Edited by AKRISONER

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Hate to break it to you…but the trolling motor you purchased, does not have those features that you are looking for.

in order to use the follow contours functionality etc you would have needed to purchased an iPilot - link enabled trolling motor. Which the motor you reference is not.

your trolling motor has iPilot allowing for spotlock and waypoint storage within the trolling motor itself, accessible through the remote. However it will not “link” with a compatible humminbird fish finder to move to waypoints stored on your gps fish finder.

as such…my personal recommendation as it relates to value for screens at the moment is a Garmin echo map 95sv. They pretty regularly go on sale for less than $1000 and contain navionics charts, side imaging down imaging, livescope enabled and network ability should you ever decide to buy multiple units.

There is no Link anymore.  All new motors have Advanced GPS/One Boat Network, which will follow the contour with the properly connected HB unit.

Edited by BillM
  • Like 2

Thanks for clarifying bill, appears I’m out of date! Man keeping up with the tech across all brands is a pile of Information that I’m not even sure why I try to keep up with. My boat is 100% Garmin now but I still wanna know what hummingbird and minkotta are up to.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Thanks for clarifying bill, appears I’m out of date! Man keeping up with the tech across all brands is a pile of Information that I’m not even sure why I try to keep up with. My boat is 100% Garmin now but I still wanna know what hummingbird and minkotta are up to.

I thought the same when I looked up the OPs trolling motor.   I guess it's good though, like how many options do we need LOL!     The new brushless Terrova is going to be pretty slick I think.   The prob is my 10 year old Terrova won't die.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillM said:

I thought the same when I looked up the OPs trolling motor.   I guess it's good though, like how many options do we need LOL!     The new brushless Terrova is going to be pretty slick I think.   The prob is my 10 year old Terrova won't die.  

Same here, my Terrova is like the Energizer Bunny...keeps going and going...and the brushless models are quite a jump in price.

I do like the benefits of brushless. Last year there was talk of after-market replacement brushless motor kits. There's some on AliBaba (which I don't trust buying from) for between $500 and $800 depending on the MinnKota model. My current Terrova has all the tech I need other than the motor, so it's something I might consider. Anyone know anything ? Is there a reputable source ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 12:40 PM, 410001661 said:

I need to tap into the inner propeller heads in this great forum - specifically around my new Terrova trolling motor.  I bought a new Terrova p/n Terrova80/DSC/WR-60" and now I would like to add a bow mounted fish finder. 

I read the manual and there are many different options to control this motor - wireless remote that it comes with or via iphone using One Boat Network app.  Using the One Boat Network app one can also link the trolling motor to a Hummingbird fish finder and I am assuming Lowrance as well (with the adapter) and once this happens you can save waypoints to send to the motor and allow the motor to follow a specific depth.  I am assuming the unit just needs GPS and a mapping card??

Does anyone have this motor and can tell me if my assumptions are correct?  Does anyone have a bow mounted fishfinder recommendations?  I find the MinnKota web sit useless because it keeps telling you what the Terrova can do but it but does not spell out what hardware/software that you need to make it happen.   I am using a Lowrance HDS7 for my main unit.  

Thanks gentleman

I've built and run several configs over the years and now have a Ranger bass boat w/2-12" and 1-16" graph, forward facing sonar, 2 ducers at the stern, external GPS, and I replaced all the factory wiring. One question - do you have a helm graph and what is it?

This is what I recommend:

1. Go with a Humminbird, that way you'll be able to use all the functions.  The HELIX models (w/CHIRP) would be the best place to start unless you want a touch-screen. Size is important because at the bow, the graph will be located down around your feet.
  2. The Terrova has a transducer that you should utilize - make sure the graph is compatible (IE. Dual Spectrum  CHIRP) etc
  3. Phone apps are not the best for operating the Terrova (they are slow and only include a few controls - or at least they did), plus you wont want to drop your phone overboard trying to use it to control the terrova!  Terrova remote or the controls on the graph (if networked) are the best.
  4. Ensure that the graph has networking ability to you can connect it to your graphs, etc, either now or in the future.
  5. Depending on the bow graph you select you'll have to consider the quality of power you bring to it. The more powerful the graph, the more important this becomes.
  6. If you need any further help, PM me and i'd be more than happy to have a phone conversation on any questions you may have. 
  • Like 1