Generator Care

Hello gentlemen,

Just purchased a Briggs and Stratton 8000w generator.  I've never had one before.  Any advice on it would be great.  I ran it yesterday and the wife could smell the gas in the house.  That's probably because it was right up to the house.  Im going to build a little enclosure for it and move it further away from the house.  Not sure if it's necessary but I'm putting in fuel stabilizer in everytime and am going to run it for 10 minutes a month.  Just want to get max life out of it.  I haven't hooked anything up to it yet but I got 2 50' extension cords and am planning on getting 2 100'.  Extension cords are not cheap.

Well, the first thing "I " would do is look into having it converted to either natural gas or propane depending on what's available in your area. That would eliminate all the problems with maintaining cans of gas for long periods of time. In my experience people start out with great intentions (going to change out the gas on a regular basis...... ) but then life gets in the way and things get forgotten. Just when you need it the most it's not ready to go. 

The second thing "I " would do is have it professionally wired into the house with an automatic system that will allow it to start when needed and shut off when not. Having to run extension cords isn't a great option at - 20 in the middle of the night or if you aren't home. What happens if you are away or sick, is your wife going to be able to hook everything up and run it? 

Yes, it's going to cost you to do the above but you have already invested in part of the system, might as well do it properly so you can get the maximum use out of it. Just my $0.02 😊

• Like 4

Make sure to turn off the fuel and let it run dry whenever you use it. All my small engine fuel gets treated with Seafoam soon as I get home. It's good as a stabilizer for two years and keeps engines clean. It also prevents phase separation, specially now that even premium has ethanol in it. I also cut up a long length of fuel line so I can drain the tank and not have to bother running it for maintenance. Mine is only 3200K 110V so it's easy enough to lift up on some cinder blocks to drain. I also have it grounded to a copper pipe pounded into the ground. A lot of people don't bother but there's a good reason those ground posts are on the unit. As for extension cords, I made up a 6ft heavy duty male to male cord and I back feed one side of the panel through the outdoor plug after first disconnecting from the grid, you have to isolate your home. Luckily my well pump is 110V. and on the same side of the panel is my propane furnace, propane hot water and many of the downstairs plugs including 2 freezers and an all fridge. Plus some upstairs plugs and lights. I have a wood stove upstairs. That cord never even gets warm so I have zero issues using it that way.  That genny had been sitting in my back shed brand new never opened box for 5 years or more when I saw it on sale for 40% and needed a new one anyway. It actually didn't click in till after visiting a neighbour the day after the storm that I had one in the shed lol. So that was that May storm '22, since then I've used it twice for a total of 40 hours tops. I know all the circuits to leave on, I have a paper list I made back then right at the panel.
So, total cost to power enough of my home off grid to still take a hot shower, have some lights, house lights are all all LED's, watch tv, use my LPG range for cooking like normal?  It was $350 I think when I grabbed that deal way back. No pony panels and expensive connectors, switches and cables.  It's easy to make the patch cord, just need an extra male connector. If I was to lose power here I could  hang in quite well on a smaller mid size genny.
Cheers

• Like 1

I have a 4500 champion which has never been used. I run it not often enough. 😒 I had a pony box installed and had my important items hooked up It. The Gen has its own wired box outside. Start and plug when needed. 
it keep  it  in a large patio storage box. No water or mice can get in. I have cut an opening where the exhaust is and can run it with the cover on. 

I have a propane powered Generac 10k (I have a submarine sized tank for heating and cooking) hard wired to a pony panel that runs all critical circuits. Comes on automatically when there's a power outage (which is often here in ice storm central), so I don't have to be there if the power goes in mid-winter and I'm worried about the pipes freezing or food spoiling. Also automatically comes on once a month for 20 minutes to circulate the oil and keep the starting battery charged. Other than changing the oil every 2 years and occasionally the spark plug...it's all pretty well hands off.

I'm fortunate enough to have  a nephew who is a Master Electrician, so all done at cost and a lifetime of fishing trips on the lake.

• Like 1