Motorguide W55 Foot pedal problems and a Pigeon L update

Rizzo

Hey all,

Went to Pigeon Lake the past couple days. Water temps around 50 degrees and super windy. We managed to boat 3 muskies (all around 40 inches) and lost a couple more. While there, my trolling motor stopped working. It is a fairly basic unit, approx 10 years old. Motorguide W55. Usually when you hit the on off button on the foot pedal the motor makes a "beep". On day 2 it didn't. Went and got a new battery for foot pedal. Still no beep. There is power to the unit. Any thoughts or suggestions? Don't often use the trolling motor so would prefer not to replace the whole unit if there is a simpler fix. I googled the foot pedal but everywhere on line seems to show this model of pedal out of stock (guess they want you to buy a new trolling motor!). My google search did find a place called Aikman's in Mississauga that maybe could help (they are closed today so don't know for sure).

Not sure if that model Motorguide has one...but there is a reed switch (operated by a magnet) that powers up the motor. It's a safety, so the motor won't accidentally power up in the stowed position. It should be under the cover of the steering head. Check to see if you're getting power across it. My TM had the same problem...wouldn't power up...bad reed switch was the culprit.

If that doesn't do it...I highly recommend Aikman's.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

son of a gun...with a bit more googling and downloading the manual I somehow fixed it. Involved disconnecting the power source for 30 seconds and manually rotating the prop. It was a magnet problem according to the symptoms I was having. Who knew there were magnets in there (other than CrowMan apparently!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SlipperyVic said:

When I had a W55 wireless model I found if I didn't use the foot pedal on a regular basis I would have to re-pair the foot pedal to the motor. Then it would be fine.

The hand remote never lost pairing, but I used that all the time.

Can you still get hand remotes for this unit? Would be good to have a back-up for times like this. Kinda sucks that you can't run the unit without the foot control.

13 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Can you still get hand remotes for this unit? Would be good to have a back-up for times like this. Kinda sucks that you can't run the unit without the foot control.

You can on Amazon. I still have a new in box spare for mine somewhere around here.

https://www.amazon.ca/Attwood-Wireless-Remote-Handheld-Motorguide/dp/B000G78YRS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OCISU6VELH2J&keywords=w55+motor+guide+remote&qid=1699259490&sprefix=w55+motor+guide+remote%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-1

I'm sure I paid less than $100, but that was a few years ago.

• Like 1