Pigeon musky report

siwash

Hey gang,

Those of you helping me out with my "maiden" musky hunt are aware that I went out yesterday for the first dedicated trip.  I've caught a couple of small musky accidentally in their past, but I have never really fished for them.  Pigeon was one of the recommended lakes and it turned out to be an interesting day. Weather was excellent.. light winds, no rain and cloud cover until about 1 or so.. 

I started at the south end at Fees landing near Emily PP. The south end as many of you know if very shallow. Turned out to be a bit too shallow for my comfort level.  My trolling motor (just a clamp on) continuously got fouled with heavy weeds.  Even my main motor had issues with weeds. I casted along that main channel for about two hours but I decided to use my lighter gear as I felt that it would be a good bass holding area.  Other than some incidental panfish, nothing was caught after about 2 or so hours.  Overall, I don't think I will start from the south end anymore.  I prefer mix of rock and weed and deeper water structure over the super shallow stuff (I often fish for smallmouth for this reason)

Some of you recommended that top end of the end of the lake so I had to make a call at around 9:30 to either shoot up there with my smallish boat (older 16' aluminum with a very old late 70s evinrude!) So I erred on the side of caution and trailered up to Bobcaygeon. But he time I got there and on the water it was around 10:30  I did find a free public launch that is actually pretty decent (right next to Gordon yacht club).  I headed to a location that was recommend to me by Lew - and finally began casting.. here's where in got interesting! So I just started bait casting about 18 months ago.  I have only used my Abu black max which is an economical and very forgiving reel.  I like it and it's easy to cast.  I don't think I've ever bird nested it. The reel I used yesterday was a different story.  Some of you commented on it suggesting it may not be up to the task in the long run.  Given that I am just starting out, I figured I'd try it before dropping several hundreds on a new tee/rod combo. It's the Abu Ambassador 6000. It's probably fine for trolling but maybe nit the best for casting..It's a bit clunky, and I could not play with the settings to reduce the bird nests. Handle is also small and it just felt cheap. Well I quickly learned what a bird nest is all about! I would say that every 4th or 5th cast I bird nested - usually not so bad and got my self untangled... My first casts were pretty cautious because I have never launched lures this big! Eventually, after a few dozen casts, I was getting more comfortable and able to launch the lures further.  I started (and mostly casted) with a black spinnerbait with orange blades.  Nice lure.  The weed cover is amazing in the lake.  I fished 8-12' for about 3 hours or so continuously casting to shore, weeds, rocks, etc.. Finally at about 1 PM, I see my first musky.. Right under the boat and looking at my lure as I almost finished my retrieve.  I almost crapped my pants! It was close to 40" maybe a bit more or less.. hard to say but definitely a respectable fish and bigger than most fish I've handled.  I paused the lure and then began a figure 8 for about 30 seconds but I lost sight of it.  I began casting in different directions hoping that it would come back and did this for about 15 more minutes.. No bites!   I then slowly drifted off in a northward direction and switch to a ducktail.  This lure is heavier and I had more trouble with bird nests.  Mostly minor ones. I switched back to the spinnerbait them eventually moved on to another area.  I decided to troll after a few hours of casting - it is a bit of a workout that's for sure.  

I trolled deeper water adjacent to shoreline and then hit some islands (all in the north end).  I trolled a Believer (deep setting) for most of the time then eventually switched to a Jake. The lake is VERY different up there. The north end is also more scenic IMO.  Nice lake overall.   No bites after about 3 or so hours. Ended up packing it in just before 4 PM and headed home.  A great day overall and I condor it successful as I was able to get a musky follow, although I am still nt sure if I just happened to see it under the boat or actually got it to be interested in my lure.

I did buy all the necessary tools recommended here - bolt cutter, jaw spreader, massive net, gloves, etc... also brought along a good First Aid kit! 

A few questions:

-What knot do you guys use to attach you main line (braid) to your leader?  I am referring to the pre-tied flouro leaders that have the welded O-rings.  I used a Husky Muskie leader. 

-When you see a fish like I did, do you return later in the day to that spot? What else could I have done to get that fish to strike?

-Can someone recommend a reel/rod combo that won't break the bank? Maybe something that will be a good step up

Any other suggestions?  Thanks to the members to that contributed many helpful tips - and especially Lew who PM me with a few extra tips! ;)

Edited by siwash

I forgot to add that in my hasty exit out of Fees Landing, I forgot to hook up my trailer lights. The connector plug on the trailer end was damaged as it came loose from where I tuck it in and was damaged! One of the metal prongs was missing.  The left turn signal still works as does the brake light but the right turn signal doesn't work any more. How do I go about repairing this?  Never done it before?  Can you buy just the connector piece?  Thanks

1 hour ago, siwash said:

Hey gang,

Those of you helping me out with my "maiden" musky hunt are aware that I went out yesterday for the first dedicated trip.  I've caught a couple of small musky accidentally in their past, but I have never really fished for them.  Pigeon was one of the recommended lakes and it turned out to be an interesting day. Weather was excellent.. light winds, no rain and cloud cover until about 1 or so.. 

I started at the south end at Fees landing near Emily PP. The south end as many of you know if very shallow. Turned out to be a bit too shallow for my comfort level.  My trolling motor (just a clamp on) continuously got fouled with heavy weeds.  Even my main motor had issues with weeds. I casted along that main channel for about two hours but I decided to use my lighter gear as I felt that it would be a good bass holding area.  Other than some incidental panfish, nothing was caught after about 2 or so hours.  Overall, I don't think I will start from the south end anymore.  I prefer mix of rock and weed and deeper water structure over the super shallow stuff (I often fish for smallmouth for this reason)

Some of you recommended that top end of the end of the lake so I had to make a call at around 9:30 to either shoot up there with my smallish boat (older 16' aluminum with a very old late 70s evinrude!) So I erred on the side of caution and trailered up to Bobcaygeon. But he time I got there and on the water it was around 10:30  I did find a free public launch that is actually pretty decent (right next to Gordon yacht club).  I headed to a location that was recommend to me by Lew - and finally began casting.. here's where in got interesting! So I just started bait casting about 18 months ago.  I have only used my Abu black max which is an economical and very forgiving reel.  I like it and it's easy to cast.  I don't think I've ever bird nested it. The reel I used yesterday was a different story.  Some of you commented on it suggesting it may not be up to the task in the long run.  Given that I am just starting out, I figured I'd try it before dropping several hundreds on a new tee/rod combo. It's the Abu Ambassador 6000. It's probably fine for trolling but maybe nit the best for casting..It's a bit clunky, and I could not play with the settings to reduce the bird nests. Handle is also small and it just felt cheap. Well I quickly learned what a bird nest is all about! I would say that every 4th or 5th cast I bird nested - usually not so bad and got my self untangled... My first casts were pretty cautious because I have never launched lures this big! Eventually, after a few dozen casts, I was getting more comfortable and able to launch the lures further.  I started (and mostly casted) with a black spinnerbait with orange blades.  Nice lure.  The weed cover is amazing in the lake.  I fished 8-12' for about 3 hours or so continuously casting to shore, weeds, rocks, etc.. Finally at about 1 PM, I see my first musky.. Right under the boat and looking at my lure as I almost finished my retrieve.  I almost crapped my pants! It was close to 40" maybe a bit more or less.. hard to say but definitely a respectable fish and bigger than most fish I've handled.  I paused the lure and then began a figure 8 for about 30 seconds but I lost sight of it.  I began casting in different directions hoping that it would come back and did this for about 15 more minutes.. No bites!   I then slowly drifted off in a northward direction and switch to a ducktail.  This lure is heavier and I had more trouble with bird nests.  Mostly minor ones. I switched back to the spinnerbait them eventually moved on to another area.  I decided to troll after a few hours of casting - it is a bit of a workout that's for sure.  

I trolled deeper water adjacent to shoreline and then hit some islands (all in the north end).  I trolled a Believer (deep setting) for most of the time then eventually switched to a Jake. The lake is VERY different up there. The north end is also more scenic IMO.  Nice lake overall.   No bites after about 3 or so hours. Ended up packing it in just before 4 PM and headed home.  A great day overall and I condor it successful as I was able to get a musky follow, although I am still nt sure if I just happened to see it under the boat or actually got it to be interested in my lure.

I did buy all the necessary tools recommended here - bolt cutter, jaw spreader, massive net, gloves, etc... also brought along a good First Aid kit! 

A few questions:

-What knot do you guys use to attach you main line (braid) to your leader?  I am referring to the pre-tied flouro leaders that have the welded O-rings.  I used a Husky Muskie leader. 

-When you see a fish like I did, do you return later in the day to that spot? What else could I have done to get that fish to strike?

-Can someone recommend a reel/rod combo that won't break the bank? Maybe something that will be a good step up

Any other suggestions?  Thanks to the members to that contributed many helpful tips - and especially Lew who PM me with a few extra tips! ;)

Palomar Knot for heavy braid to O ring.

Yes....return to the spot at dusk or early morning or under different weather conditions. Also try another presentation....glide or jerk bait...or big rubber like BullDawg or Medussa or Red October Tube...and of course sometimes just a colour change

I just picked up a St Croix  Musky Mojo rod and Lexa 400 reel (like I really need another outfit, but that's part of the addiction) for $600. Not the cheapest choice, but good value...and you can certainly spend a lot more..Especially with Musky gear, I find spending a little more for quality will serve you better in the long run...because you will quickly be unsatisfied with something really cheap 

Edited by CrowMan
  • Thanks 1

And that’s musky fishing for ya. good effort and sounds like you’re doing the right stuff. You’ll tie into one eventually. 

I use a palomar knot to tie to the o-ring. 

it takes some practice but placing your thumb and on the spool/line and applying little pressure when casting will reduce your birdsnests. 

Follows: Don’t pause before the figure 8, make it a fluid motion at the end of your retrieve.  Sometimes you just can’t get them to go. Return to the spot later or try a different lure. 

Im too poor to buy cheap is my mo. lol. Buying quality gear will be dependable when you need it to be and will hold up over time. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Reef Runner said:

And that’s musky fishing for ya. good effort and sounds like you’re doing the right stuff. You’ll tie into one eventually. 

I use a palomar knot to tie to the o-ring. 

it takes some practice but placing your thumb and on the spool/line and applying little pressure when casting will reduce your birdsnests. 

Follows: Don’t pause before the figure 8, make it a fluid motion at the end of your retrieve.  Sometimes you just can’t get them to go. Return to the spot later or try a different lure. 

Im too poor to buy cheap is my mo. lol. Buying quality gear will be dependable when you need it to be and will hold up over time. 

Yes, I lightly thumbed when casting each time...Don't have to do this with the Black Max but the Ambassador would be a hot mess if I didn't thumb.  The Ambassador is really hard to adjust.  There's that dial you can turn to make the lure drop more easily when you engage the reel.. I usually set it so it drops fairly quickly but doesn't bird nest when it hits the water.  That's easy to do with my black max.. I can't seem to make this adjustment with the ambassador.  I am going to take my time with this.. Not going o go out and drop $800 for a top notch combo just yet.  I used to do that kind of stuff.. I really need to figure out if musky fishing is something I really like.  I love to fish for general species, pike, bass, etc.. there's more action and your arms aren't sore by the end of day.  I bet if I hook into a 40" fish I may like it a lot more! But there's definitely less action.  We will see.  I will go out a few more times this year - maybe as it cools further, and maybe the fish get more active.  The thing is, if your'e musky fishing, that is generally all you're fishing for (although I hear people accidentally catch other species).  I didn't see a bass all day using those big lures and I know that lake has a lot of bass as I fished Pigeon years ago and caught tons of smallies.. 

Thanks for the tips.. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, siwash said:

This was one of the more common weeds where I was fishing - I think it's commonly called "cabbage weed" if I'm not mistaken? also northern milfoil I believe...

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 10.16.56 AM.png

Yep...a favourite haunt of big predators. Up in North West Ontario they call Musky....Cabbage Dragons

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's basically prime time muskie now through the end of Sept, especially in the Kawarthas.   I was out with a buddy last year and we put 8 in the boat and I raised a really nice fish earlier in the day.   I went back with something completely different and she ate on the first cast.   To me, seeing a fish is as good as catching one.   That's half the battle.    How warm was the water?   At this time of year when the water is in the mid 70s, you can't reel too fast.   Great time to burn bucktails and cover a lot of water.   If I was fishing the Kawarthas, I'd be either looking for giant cabbage flats, or weeds that drop into deep water (weeds in 8-15ft, dropping into 20+)   You'll get fish moving in and out of this cover daily.  Also never be afraid to make a cast to the Canadian side of the boat (The deep side)   One of the biggest muskies I've ever raised in the Kawarthas came doing exactly this.

Good job and keep on casting!!!   

Also Crowman, Gagnons has 30% off St.Croix musky gear during the Muskie Odyssey.   I got three rods this spring, with the discount I got my Premier glass/graphite trolling rod for free :) 

• Thanks 1

My finder has been wonky so reading changed erratically.. another thing to buy this year! judging by my hand, I'd say 72 to 74 on the surface.  I was reeling fast.  I was trying to stay above the weeds before the lure would sink below the weed line and get hung up with weeds.. love that spinnerbaits don't get hung up as much. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, siwash said:

My finder has been wonky so reading changed erratically.. another thing to buy this year! judging by my hand, I'd say 72 to 74 on the surface.  I was reeling fast.  I was trying to stay above the weeds before the lure would sink below the weed line and get hung up with weeds.. love that spinnerbaits don't get hung up as much. 

That's exactly what you're supposed to do.   You'll get bite eventually! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, siwash said:

Yes, I lightly thumbed when casting each time...Don't have to do this with the Black Max but the Ambassador would be a hot mess if I didn't thumb.  The Ambassador is really hard to adjust.  There's that dial you can turn to make the lure drop more easily when you engage the reel.. I usually set it so it drops fairly quickly but doesn't bird nest when it hits the water.  That's easy to do with my black max.. I can't seem to make this adjustment with the ambassador.  I am going to take my time with this.. Not going o go out and drop $800 for a top notch combo just yet.  I used to do that kind of stuff.. I really need to figure out if musky fishing is something I really like.  I love to fish for general species, pike, bass, etc.. there's more action and your arms aren't sore by the end of day.  I bet if I hook into a 40" fish I may like it a lot more! But there's definitely less action.  We will see.  I will go out a few more times this year - maybe as it cools further, and maybe the fish get more active.  The thing is, if your'e musky fishing, that is generally all you're fishing for (although I hear people accidentally catch other species).  I didn't see a bass all day using those big lures and I know that lake has a lot of bass as I fished Pigeon years ago and caught tons of smallies.. 

Thanks for the tips.. 

My advice fwiw is to buy a new (or used) decent quality rod and reel. If it turns out that you just can't get into Musky fishing, you can always sell it and usually recover a good percentage of your investment. And if it turns in to an addiction, you've got something that will serve you well, without thinking that you need to immediately upgrade.

If you buy something "cheap"...you're not going to enjoy using it...and since it's of low value you'll have a difficult time trying to sell it, if you decide to move up to something better or it turns out that Musky are just not for you. So even though you initially spent less, you end up eating the $$.

Just my experience when it comes to fishing gear...and frankly a lot of other things too..

I have run many businesses over the years, and this philosophy has always served me well.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just seeing that nice fish on your 1st trip makes it worthwhile and it's something you'll remember for a while, some guys go all season without seeing one. The north end of Pigeon is far better than the south just for all the different types of structure available. It's a big lake and takes some time to figure it out but you'll get there and feel comfortable and confident moving around from one structure type to another.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The fact you saw a musky says everything. I’ve spent many days musky fishing and seeing no fish.

Put it this way, in all of my actual musky fishing on Georgian bay, I’ve managed one fish.

as far as you experiencing difficulty with the baitcaster, im thinking it can be solved with more practice. Thumbing the spool is a bit of an art but spend a year casting baits hard and you’ll get the hang of it. 

also braid is always easier to learn on than fluro.

also that abu…crank enough bucktails on it and it will explode anyways and leave you needing to buy a new reel anyways. How do I know? From experience lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I figure having been that close to one is a big plus and a positive start.

Did you guys read that story I shared about my dad and I on Geo Bay (port severn)?  He hooked into a monster that was over 50" - scary big.. accidentally on a tiny, crappy tire no-name lure.  Hot and tired, we were just ready to go home then BOOM! Of course that fish was lost.. didn't have it on for more than 12 seconds.. 

16 minutes ago, BillM said:

One of my biggest muskies to date was on a 4in spybait :)   

I don't know how many Duo Realis I've lost to Pike and Muskies....at $20 a pop it sure stings. They seem to be crack cocaine for Esox.

Need to find an 8 inch version and fish it with a 100lb fluoro leader. 

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

I don't know how many Duo Realis I've lost to Pike and Muskies....at $20 a pop it sure stings. They seem to be crack cocaine for Esox.

That's exactly what it bit, I love those Duo Realis baits..    I found a guy down in the states who makes muskie sized spybaits.   Hopefully putting them to work once the water cools down a bit.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BillM said:

That's exactly what it bit, I love those Duo Realis baits..    I found a guy down in the states who makes muskie sized spybaits.   Hopefully putting them to work once the water cools down a bit.  

Can you send me a link/contact for the big spybaits. Much appreciated.

Got a 2 week trip planned to Eagle and Cedar up in NWO this September. Can always stuff another couple in the Lakewood box.

Thanks..

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, siwash said:

Is this what you're referring to?

CEA50820-BF1B-4AB9-8CDE-28A999CA59F0.png

No....Spybaits have 2 little propellers on each end...they're designed to move horizontally through the water column anywhere from 5 to 15 ft down..

Google "Spybait"....there's a real art to fishing them. Best fished on straight 6 or 8lb fluoro (or a very long fluoro leader) to get them suspended just right. They've produced many big Smallmouth for me, especially when they don't seem to be interested in anything else. Unfortunately, toothy critters like 'em too...hence the pricey bit-offs

Screenshot_20230825_132207_Chrome.jpg

Edited by CrowMan

For Kawartha skis, you don't need expensive gear. Sure, its always nice but IMHO i'd stick with good solid mid-line gear like the Curado baitcaster, PowerPro braid (whatever is on sale >40lb), and something like a Okuma EVX-C-861H-Tb or something like that. You can cast or troll with that setup.

6 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Same here, 1st time ever casting a SB, 3 casts in and something big and green takes it and eff's off. On my second so far so good :)