Hello,

I am a newbie fisherman. I have gone fishing multiple times in the gta with no luck (5 times lol). I was wondering if there are any parks or spots that are (1) willing to be shown to me physically (2) anyone is willing to write here. I have been trying different locations and they do not seem that good.

I understand that the GTA may not be the best place for fishing but as a young adult that does not have the most free time or money, I’m looking for options that are somewhat local and more accessible. 

I also understand that someone wouldn’t probably share their spots, but this is a shot in the dark. Thank you :)

Edited by Master_baiter_420_69

I don't think there can be any secret spots in the GTA anymore...When I was a young lad living in the east end (TO) we used the TTC to get to the Grenadier Pond in High Park or to the ferry boats to the Islands or Humber Bay, Etobicoke creek or the Credit River...There is also the Leslie Street Spit or Ashbridges Bay for carp...Eastwards there was Highland Creek, Rouge River and Frenchman's Bay (both open water and ice fishing at Frenchman's)

I have to add that I haven't been a young lad for many years (70) and lots have changed since when I last fished there...Best of luck !

Edited by Beans
  • Like 2

Beans comments still hold true today. Most of the rivers in the GTA have estuaries where they flow into Lake Ontario...Bronte, 16 Mile, Credit, Etobicoke, Mimico, Humber, Highland, Rouge, Frenchman's...they all produce a wide variety of species depending on the time of the year. Watch what other anglers are doing, engage them in a friendly chat, and you' ll start to figure things out in no time...

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

Unless you know what you’re doing, fishing in Toronto is a pretty tough go. I lived, and fished in Toronto for many years; all the places mentioned by Beans at one point or another, with very little success. I always enjoyed it though, and it made those rare fish encounters all the more special. I never got into salmon/trout fishing but I think that may be your best bet for landing a big fish. Pike are around if you stay dedicated and carp are abundant. You just need a little patience…..and a lot of corn.

Crowman pretty much hit the nail on the head, the best advice you’ll get is by talking to guys you see fishing in person. Fisherman may be a little reluctant to talk too much on the net but are often much more willing to share/brag/educate when given the chance in the real world

Edited by Weeds
I simply cannot spell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beans said:

I don't think there can be any secret spots in the GTA anymore...When I was a young lad living in the east end (TO) we used the TTC to get to the Grenadier Pond in High Park or to the ferry boats to the Islands or Humber Bay, Etobicoke creek or the Credit River...There is also the Leslie Street Spit or Ashbridges Bay for carp...Eastwards there was Highland Creek, Rouge River and Frenchman's Bay (both open water and ice fishing at Frenchman's)

I have to add that I haven't been a young lad for many years (70) and lots have changed since when I last fished there...Best of luck !

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

Beans comments still hold true today. Most of the rivers in the GTA have estuaries where they flow into Lake Ontario...Bronte, 16 Mile, Credit, Etobicoke, Mimico, Humber, Highland, Rouge, Frenchman's...they all produce a wide variety of species depending on the time of the year. Watch what other anglers are doing, engage them in a friendly chat, and you' ll start to figure things out in no time...

Sounds great! Thanks !

1 hour ago, Weeds said:

Unless you know what you’re doing, fishing in Toronto is a pretty tough go. I lived, and fished in Toronto for many years; all the places mentioned by Beans at one point or another, with very little success. I always enjoyed it though, and it made those rare fish encounters all the more special. I never got into salmon/trout fishing but I think that may be your best bet for landing a big fish. Pike are around if you stay dedicated and carp are abundant. You just need a little patience…..and a lot of corn.

Crowman pretty much hit the nail on the head, the best advice you’ll get is by talking to guys you see fishing in person. Fisherman may be a little reluctant to talk too much on the net but are often much more willing to share/brag/educate when given the chance in the real world

Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be looking at the Toronto islands or the Leslie St. Spit area as well, the latter which you can easily bike to. I imagine all the riprap and weed growth by the Spit would be conducive for bass and pike. High Park was great for kids (at least when I was there eons ago) but guessing it's meh now, if even allowed. Never had much luck with the Rouge near Port Union.

Edited by woodenboater

1 hour ago, woodenboater said:

I imagine all the riprap and weed growth by the Spit would be conducive for bass and pike. 

50 something years ago I drove dump trucks on my days off and dumped a LOT of that riprap plus tons of dirt for the construction of the Spit. It's nice to see what a great spot it's become over the years.

12 hours ago, lew said:

50 something years ago I drove dump trucks on my days off and dumped a LOT of that riprap plus tons of dirt for the construction of the Spit. It's nice to see what a great spot it's become over the years.

the Spit has truly become one of the city's gems. Wild life, city views etc. A great respite although the cormorants, if they're still there, were a blight that killed off many trees. Great that you helped build up a local escape for many !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2023 at 4:34 PM, Beans said:

How the heck are ya Beans?! Brings back memories...

Toronto is all well and good, but what's the story with the Otonabee river? Last I heard the Koi herpesvirus had devastated the local population of slimy "Sewer Salmon🤣You wanna talk about 'urban fishing' check out what's going on over in the L.A. River! ⬅️

3 hours ago, glirw said:

How the heck are ya Beans?! Brings back memories...

Toronto is all well and good, but what's the story with the Otonabee river? Last I heard the Koi herpesvirus had devastated the local population of slimy "Sewer Salmon🤣You wanna talk about 'urban fishing' check out what's going on over in the L.A. River! ⬅️

Last time I carp fished Little Lake at P'Borough was before the die-off...My son landed a dandy about 25 lbs. but unfortunately we had no camera...Had to leave early to go pickup my Father's Day gift of a mobility scooter !

Edited by Beans