Playing With a New Idea

Spiel

I've had this idea in my head now for some time and finally set my feet on the path to making it a reality last weekend.
It's not like anything I've seen in the rod building world thus far and I'm hoping there's a market for it. Yes it's somewhat blingy for sure but not too gaudy in my opinion.
I've shown it here on a mock up handle loosely assembled on a length of all thread.

Your thought's welcomed.

Thanks for looking.  :)

PTGold 1.jpg

PTGold 3.jpg

PTGold 5.jpg

PTGold 7.jpg

PTGold 10.jpg

PTGold 11.jpg

PTGold 12.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

Looks very cool...is the material carbon fiber ? Or a metal mesh in epoxy ?

I've always been partial to the warmth and feel of organic materials...but paired with some of the bougie looking centrepins out now, that could definitely bring the bling.

Thank you CM. It's a mylar mesh weave stretched over a carbon sleeve then cast in clear acrylic.
It is just for now a working prototype that is going to lead me to more creative designs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barry Willis said:

I think it looks cool as well. If it was chrome or silver it may even resemble fish scales. But the sun reflecting off it may be a hindrance. Just a thought. I'm sure there are alot of anglers that would appreciate the change. Very nice Spiel, great imagination, that's where things start. 

Thank you Barry, my daughter thought fish scales right off. Silver is on the to do list.  😉

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Chris

Not one of those handles for all but there are those that will love it! IMO

(I'm sure some would think the handles you have built for me are for  "old guys" !!)

I like that you are willing to try new ideas, and have the skill to pull it off.

I count myself very lucky to have have more than a few rods built by you.

Here is my favourite.

koa 10.jpg

koa 14.jpg

DSCN0049.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bill Shearer said:

Hey Chris

Not one of those handles for all but there are those that will love it! IMO

(I'm sure some would think the handles you have built for me are for  "old guys" !!)

I like that you are willing to try new ideas, and have the skill to pull it off.

I count myself very lucky to have have more than a few rods built by you.

Here is my favourite.

Thanks Bill, I always enjoyed building for you as your taste is on par with my own.
Natural wood will always be my fave. 

• Like 1