RED fishing line??

mikeymikey

Just got back from England and bought a load of fishing magazines while I was there. Was looking at them on the plane earlier and sure enough one of the top anglers in the UK was using red line! First I had seen of it. When I finish reading the article properly I'll see what it says about it.

Shakespeare has had Cajun line out for 4+ years now, its mono and heard its quite good. Also PP has released a red line as well. Apparently that is the first colour to disappear in the water columns.

by looking at the small graph from PowerPro site... it seems red will be invisible down to estimate of 15ft of water?

Search for some salmon lure shows this info aswell I think...

saying... certain color becomes invisible at certain depth for fish... etc...

The actual red color will disappear as you go deeper, but the line will still be visible, except it'll appear as black.

....Exactly correct Lew. Any gimmick to sell a product, we fisherman can be colour blind when it comes to dollars spent on equipment.

Lew has it right, a colour doesn't become invisible (how would a fish then bite on any red/yellow bait in deep water?), it just becomes seen as black. The advantage is above the water for line watchers. You can see the subtle twitches or movements in your line that indicate a bite before you could ever feel it in the rod.

Charles

I've been using Cajun Red for 3 years now and don't really use it for the disappearing gimmick but it's a great line for toughness. I haven't had a break off on it yet. Very strong line and great for abrasion too.

Pretty cheap also.As Charles mentioned it's good for line watching too.

Edited by mart

I have been trialing the Cajun Red Line this year. First I started with Steelhead. Most of us know that Steelhead get spooked very easily. I had the best steelhead season in my life this spring. I am not sure if I can attribute that to the RedLine or to my skills getting better. But I do know that it did NOT spook the trout at all. Now if the red in fact does turn black, then I think that would in fact spook a steelie. Am I wrong? I mean I have watch them move out of the way of my in coming drift while using a florocarbon line but stay put or smack my offering when using redline leaders. so who knows

What I do know about the cajun redline is it is meant for salt water. Very high abrasion resistance. I noticed fewer re-ties during the course of a steelhead fishing day. I will probably keep using it.

Heres my two cents. Someone in this thread said "Any gimmick to sell a product..." I think if a fish is hungry or aggravated then it will hit. By aggravated I mean, the angler did a good job presenting whatever he/she is using.

I'll share some info with ya,

Most testing done on fish as far as what they can and can't see has all been performed on certain minnow species, not your individual game fish. Most if not all claims made by the companies who sell these products are based on these findings, so no one really knows what any other species can really see, they simply assume or make some kind of an educated guess that all fish species see the same thing or count the number of rod and cone cells in the eyes of various species and note the familiarities between the two.

That said, I have a friend trying out the cajun line and he loves it. Says its a bugger for him to see once the daylight starts to fade but hasn't noticed any difference in his catching.

He says its a good limp line with great abrasion resistance and is lasting longer than any trilene he has purchased in a very long time as he hasn't had to replace it yet.

Now I'll share some more info with ya. There is only about 3 different manufacturers of line out there for all lines you see on the market. Which means that the bad spool of trilene, stren etc. you picked up a while ago was prob. due to a bad run of line, how it was stored or the shelf life of the product.

Not the name on the label.

So the next time you spool up try looking for a lot number if you encounter problems and contact the company (they will prob replace it) and make sure you don't buy line from the same lot when you return to the store, also make sure the label on the package isn't 5 years old either :D

Give the red line a go man! Might be the best thing you ever did for your fishing.

Les out

Edited by LesCulpJr

Oh ya, and you'll likely find your better priced lines usually perform better than the big name brands due to its quick turn over off the store shelves. Its always new fresh line!!!!

I had wondered for years why I could get a whole season off the old river trail stuff ffrom home hardware or the cabela's pro line but change the trilene and other brands monthly or worse.

Guest lundboy
....Exactly correct Lew. Any gimmick to sell a product, we fisherman can be colour blind when it comes to dollars spent on equipment.

I always thought that it was a huge contradiction that the "red hooks" and "bleeding baits" were made to attract fish, but the "red line" was marketed as being invisible to fish underwater.

Physically, red must appear black under greenish tinted water. Same as if you are using colour filters in black and white photography (the old style stuff with film). Blue and green filters block red which makes it show up as black. Red filters make red show up as white, and blue and green show as black or grey. Of course this is assuming that fish see colours the same way we do. If they don't then the red hook/bleeding bait theory compared to red line is still broke.

As usual though... lure colours attract more fishermen than fish. (Think of just about every lure that someone has bought you as a gift, betcha you rarely got one that was "natural" colour).

Colour makes a great marketing tool!

I love the Cajun Red. When fishing this past May for eye's my bro bashed it at first - he's afraid when the big one hits mono won't stand up, but as the week went along it proved him wrong. Caught a 36 pound striper on Cajun 10 pound line just last year on it. I asked the same question about why a bleeding hook they can see, but red line they cant. The answers I got was that because red hooks and lures are solid they have a flash or look, but as the line is see through it blends into the background as it goes deeper. I don't know anything about all of that but I'll definately keep using it.