Looking at LCX 28C

We'll after seeing all the Sonar/GPS units everyone had at Lakair this year, and their value on the water, it's time for me to replace the old Hummingbird fish-finder with something new. After looking around, I am considering the Lowrance LCX-28C HD Sonar/GPS unit. (Thanks Art for pointing me to Tiger GPS). Already have Map Create 6 for Canada and looking to also purchase the Navionics Hot Maps Premium 2007 for Canada (so I can get Nipissing). Both of these, I can use in this unit.

What I'm trying to decide is ... would the 50/200 Khz or the 200 kHz model be better ? From what I have read to this point, the 50/200 model would work best for salt water or very deep water ... neither of which I presently fish. It is rare that I ever cross an area that exceeds 100 feet deep. The price difference is only about $55.00 US between the two units, so it's not that much. But - I do have to watch the budget.

Thanks folks.

Edited by Rich Clemens

The 50/200 has some advanced uses mostly for I.D.ing bottom hardness and looking for edges of drop offs. The larger cone size tells you about a larger radius as the water gets deeper. You will see more fish but you lose the bottom texture because it is only reading the highest point in the radius so small er is better in this case. Go ahead and spend the 55.00 it wil be worth it once you learn to read what it is telling you. I will even give you a free lesson if you bring it down here or up to lak air next year.

Art

You'll love the power on that unit, Rich. As for the transducer question, the dual frequency will only ever be useful if you'll be doing off-shore fishing. In fact, I just looked up what Lowrance has to say about that.

"Dual-frequency 50/200 kHz units are specifically designed for saltwater angling or tracking downriggers in the Great Lakes due to the capability of reading deeper and wider with the 50 kHz frequency. For superior inland and freshwater performance, single-frequency 200 kHz units are recommended due to the superior definition and target separation."

Good luck.

You're all right and that's why I have two transducers...

50/200 has a 30* and 12* cone angle

200 has a 25* cone angle

If I was fishing the Great Lakes exclusivly, the 50/200 would be ideal but on shallower lakes the 200 12* is essentially just a depth guage. Nothing really stays in the cone long enough to determine if it's a fish, a bait ball or clump of weeds.

If you're routinely fishing depths of less than 30' I would opt for the single frequency 200 kHz 25* transducer.

-Brian

Thanks guys. The difference in price is not that relevant. I just didn't want to spend the extra if there would be no real benefit. But who knows ... the fishing I am doing today, may not be the same as I'll be doing tomorrow. Probably just go ahead with the 50/200 and I'll have it ... if I need it. Appreciate all the input.

I just purchased the hummin bird 727 system which also has the dual frequency transducer (83/200).

It actually came in pretty handy while putting on a drift for some walleye this weekend as I was able to see where my bait was the whole time to stay in the fish, so long as I was in water deeper than 14 feet.

The detail is just amazing with these new units and are calibrated as such that the depth of water you're in is equal to the amount of surface area you are viewing on the bottom of the lake.

If you want to get in close to structure you can either go to split screen mode to view both cones simultaniously or simply turn the larger cone off.

I was a little skeptical of it at first but the ducer came standard with the unit and I knew I could shut the second cone off before I bought it. Very happy with it.