I love Perch

Jen

Yesterday I took the boys out fishing... We were in the States and came back via the Peace Bridge so a little excursion to Lake Erie seemed fairly simple... we were so close anyways...

I made a couple of phone calls to see what the weather was like... Thank goodness Fishmasters Bait and Tackle always answers the phone. After a short chat about Port Maitland, Steve made a suggestion and arrangements for me to rent a boat off Mohawk Marina in Lowbanks. The rain had stopped, and perch were biting... the kids were so excited... and of course a little scared. They are used to fishing from shore with me, unless we are on small lakes.

We arrived at just past 6:00pm, after getting minnows from Fishmasters (its a rush to get ready to go fishing... ) the boat was tied to the dock ready to go. A 16ft aluminum with a 9.9hp motor... lots of room! Mike got us life jackets and then we were off to where all the other boats were. Not long after my son dropped the anchor did we start catching fish.

DSC02430.jpg

Since I have recently filled my freezer with perch, I only allowed the boys to bring home what they themselves would clean and eat. Out of the 20+ fish that were caught these are the ones they kept to eat.

Arrived home at 11:30pm, cleaned fish...

DSC02431.jpg

Cooked fish...

DSC02432.jpg

Fed Children at 12:33 am... ( Great dinner planning mom!)

DSC02433.jpg

We hadn't planned on fishing so my camera was at home the whole time we were on the lake...a shame because there were some really funny moments... ie: the sheephead my youngest was reeling in that he swore would be a shark... rod tip bent right over, watching him reel backwards, line peeling out as the rod bashes against the side of the boat... but he brought it in!

It was a great night... When there is no planning and you just fly off to create memories how can it not be.

Thanks so much to Fishmasters Bait and Tackle for arranging everything for me with Mohawk Marina, I had no idea you could rent a boat for a couple of hours to save yourself the loss of tackle on the rocks at Port Maitland. My time with the boys quietly bouncing on the waves as I watched them jig ( I do mean jig) with a pickeral rig was awesome...

Have a great weekend everyone...

cheers,

jen

WTG Jen!! I knew the skunk would be off...my prediction that critter being off your back by Sunday was right!! Now...I predict a....let's see....40 pound Salmon!!! LOL.

I was glad to open this report and see fish!! The report was great....and hey...dinner after midnight? I bet your kids didn't mind at all...haha.

Great job Jen...glad to see the smiles on the kids' face.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Nice report jen......I wish i could get my lads out more but only one left at home now and my daughter resides back in the Uk so that makes it somewhat difficult....lol........Ahh how i miss when they were your boy's ages........ ;)

Looks like you all had a blast......... :thumbsup_anim:

Wow Chef Jen another great report I would have loved to see your little guy fight the sheephead.They are fisety critters.Pull like a freight train.

That plate of perch looks like it came from a high class restaurant.Nice and fancy at 12:30am.Simply wonderful :canadian:

:clapping::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: MTP