Rainy Day Musky

Weeds

Well, I'm officially addicted! I just managed my second musky and it was just as exciting as the first, maybe more so. The good news for all those guys out there who don't have acsess to a boat is that this fish must have been within 10 feet of shore tops, maybe 4 feet of water or less. As I lost my beloved slopmaster yesterday I was chucking an inline buchertail spinnerbait (black bucktail-silver blade-white twister) and wondering if the hook was too dull. BOOM!! This thing hit hard and started tearing off line even though I had the drag set pretty tight. Did some huge jumps too, must of had it's whole body close to 3 feet out of the water!! In the end it was probably around 36 inches (which makes me realize I must of overestimated the size of my first musky) but STRONG. I cut one of the trebles off as I figured it would make for an easier/quicker release and would have extracted that piece but it swam off before I could. There was nothing holding it in really, I hope he throws it easily enough. I took a really crappy pic (again), not really worth posting but I probably will later anyways.

Anyways, Cheers, I'm still pumped up :thumbsup_anim: This was only about 45 minutes ago, God I love living in the Kawarthas!!

Weeds, congrats on the musky and it's pretty easy to tell your still pumped with your success :thumbsup_anim:

Don't be too surprised to find them in close to shore though, and so easily accessible from the bank or boat dock, specially after dark.

We often position our boat about 75 feet out and cast tight into the shore where there is good structure in shallow water, like a rocky point or sand bar with weeds out in front towards the deeper water.

Here's a nice 50"er I got a couple years back while casting towards shore from my boat about 10:00 PM. She was sitting over some rocks no more than 5' from shore in about 3' of water.

Cnv1885.jpg

Muskies are often found much closer to shore than many folks think.

Go back to where you got your fish and see what the structure was, then find other similar spots along the shore and you should be able to repeat your success.....and don't forget to take some pics :Gonefishing:

The only pic I took. Very Poor, although I didn't get either the muskys head or tail I did manage to capture part of my sandal. That's a monster Lew, I'd love to catch something like some day. Plenty of season left guess....

P1011797.jpg

Edited by Weeds

Nice fish, Congrats. Your right there sure are alot of spot around the Kawarthas for shore fishing, people just have to get out and they'll find fish. I lived up here for years without a boat and always found fish.

Thanks for the report and pic.