Need advice on a new Spinning Rod

addy79

Hello All,

I'm in need of a new spinning rod and would appreciate a little input...

I dont want to spend too much money $50MAX, any suggestions? anyone use the BPS brand rods or Bowring rods? they are reasonably priced, and appear to be well made.

thoughts??

I would probably go with a Shimano Convergence, it might be a little more than $50 though. You can also look into a Berkley Lighning Rod too. I have seen them as low as $30, but a solid rod.

Edited by Hooked

I have a few BPS branded rods and find them to be great value for money. I have used both the baitcast and spinning versions. I like the one piece better than the two piece.

i know rods can REALLY shyrocket in price, some of them are incredibly expensive!

now lets be honest...

Is there really a big difference in a $30 rod and a $150 rod??

if so, what is it?

I think the biggest difference is sensivity, next the weight, and the sheer quality of components used and engineering of them. So there is a difference.

Best bang for the buck is a Lightning Rod. Good sensitivity, backbone, cork handle and balance. Cheaper rods tend to be too whippy. When feeling out a new rod I first give it a little shake(hopefully without those darn tags on it) then gently touch the tip on a surface that wont damage the tip and give a sideways motion to feel sensitivity. There is definitely a difference in quality of a good rods

I have just purchased a pair of Bass Pro Shop 8' crappy rods for perching. I really like the one I have opened up and used. The quality of the rod is outstanding it has many of the same features of rods that cost 5 times as much. I can't say whether it has the durability yet but so far it has been the better money/value ratios that I have gotten on a rod in a long while. It is rated to use 1/8 to 1/4 oz jigs, but I was using it to power cast 1 1/2 oz weights plus a baited pickerel rig for 8 hrs the other day no problems. I thought the tip would just snap off the first time I heaved it but it never did.... even after the 1000 cast or so.

Another brand of rod that has really impressed me for the money is the Pflueger line of Trion/Shakespeare Agility. Both are IM 8 graphite and very well put together IMO.

Also as mentioned don't overlook the Shakespeare Ugly stick if I ever had to go to just one rod I think I would be happiest with the ugly stick.

Yup, for the price your looking, hands down the Ugly stick, Berkly Lightning and Cherrywood. Anything else is too cheap or expensive. You might find a good ABU Garcia, but their getting expensive and cheap. Pick the rod up by the tip and see what happens. ( Be careful that nobody sees ya) The Berkleys and Ugly stick wont break.

LB's carries the Shimano Stimula for $16.00 a piece, if the sale is still on. At that price I picked up two, one medium heavy for pike and bass, and one medium light for pan fish.

I have a variety of low end and higher end Shimano rods, and they have never let me down. If it makes you feel better, I've caught a ton of huge fish on my cheapo Shimano rod. 2 x 5lb Smallies, and a 35lb Musky.

Good luck!

I have both a Shimano Convergence and a Berkley Lightning Rod brand new with tags and plastic still on the cork.

I think I bought them, two of each for $30 on sale. If you like you can take your choice of one for $35. That will cover what I paid with taxes.

Shimano Convergence

CVS-66M-2
    6' 6"
    6-12 pd line
    Medium power
    Fast action

Berkley Lightning Rod

LRS702M
    7'
    1/8-3/8 oz. lure
    4-10 pd line

I am in the Hamilton area (Dundas) but travel through the Burlington/Mississauga area regularly for work.

Let me know if you are interested.

Burt :)

• 2 years later...
LB's carries the Shimano Stimula for $16.00 a piece, if the sale is still on. At that price I picked up two, one medium heavy for pike and bass, and one medium light for pan fish.

I have a variety of low end and higher end Shimano rods, and they have never let me down. If it makes you feel better, I've caught a ton of huge fish on my cheapo Shimano rod. 2 x 5lb Smallies, and a 35lb Musky.

Good luck!

You can't beat that deal. I had a couple of Stimulas for years. Even broke them at one time and were replaced on the spot under warranty (they were still pretty new then).

Not a bad rod at all...I'm surprised how cheap. Maybe not the same anymore as the ones I had, that was probably 15 years ago.

i know rods can REALLY shyrocket in price, some of them are incredibly expensive!

now lets be honest...

Is there really a big difference in a $30 rod and a $150 rod??

if so, what is it?

Like you wouldn't believe. I would almost prefer to not fish then use a junk rod. Thats just me though. I dont even allow people that fish with me to use cheap gear, I always offer up my gear. It can be very costly, but if you fish often then you may as well do it right.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Hello All,

I'm in need of a new spinning rod and would appreciate a little input...

I dont want to spend too much money $50MAX, any suggestions? anyone use the BPS brand rods or Bowring rods? they are reasonably priced, and appear to be well made.

thoughts??

If you fish for eyes or bass I would recommend a fenwick canadian methods spinning rod. You can easily identify the rod because it is dark red in colour, or just ask one of the staff members to show you where it is. It does not come with lifetime warranty, but I find the rod is more sensitive than my compre at half the price . I believe its around $60ish at bass pro last time i checked.