Marty

Muskie Reel Issue - Help

Bought a used Abu C4 left handed version for my son.    Although it technically used, it was only used once and the owner hated using a baitcaster and dumped it.    It's spooled with PowerPro and it looks like it was never in the water.   For some reason, it's a little difficult to crank. I took it apart to check lubrication and when I took off the right side plate, it reeled smoothly.  Looks well-lubricated.  When I put the side plate back on, it's tough to retrieve again.  If I loosen the screws again, it's easy to retrieve.  I'm confused why tightening the side plate appears to be the issue.  Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

I don't suppose it is possible for the spool adjustment knob to be cranked down too hard?

Funny, without seeing the reel , I was thinking the same thing. Maybe back it right off, tighten down the side plate and then try it? 

I did a quick giggle search for schematics for your real and got a huge amount of hits.  I did that in hopes of putting a link here to help as it almost sounds like a missing spacer maybe.  I can't determine which reel may be yours.  I searched abu garcia c4 schematics.  Maybe if you try the search you can identify the exact reel schematic and determine if you may be actually missing something.

Michael

3 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Funny, without seeing the reel , I was thinking the same thing. Maybe back it right off, tighten down the side plate and then try it? 

grim, just thinking if the previous owner was having trouble adapting to a baitcaster he might have cranked that knob down trying to prevent backlashes?

When I first got sick I bought 3 of those lefties, 4- 5- 6- series from a guy on ebay, displays and never fished. I put line on a couple of them but only used one once, my hands stopped working well enough for me to use a baitcaster without tossing it overboard.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marty said:

Bought a used Abu C4 left handed version

Theres your problem. :lol:

What Bill said. Cranked to hard ,it is hard to reel.

Thanks Gents.  All good.   Don't think the tensioner was the issue because the reel casted like a charm, it was just tough to retrieve.   I pull the reel apart, reassembled it and it works like a charm.  Who knows.

• Like 1