What's the best way to catch my first walleye?

I need some help people! :worthy:

This weekend I am camping up at Restoule Provincial Park. We have a waterfront site so am hoping it is rocky with some deep water so I can fish for smallmouth bass from shore. I have caught a few smallies before and have a good idea of how to catch them and strike them off this year's fish list. But the one fish that I hear is in the lake that I would like to catch is walleye. I have never targetted them before and have never caught one. Therefore I need help. I would like to catch them from shore if possible, or perhaps if I can rent a baot from a boat out in the main lake.

What would you say was the best technique/bait to catch walleye in a lake from shore and/or boat? :Gonefishing:

Jig with curly tail? Deep diving lures? Worm harness?

I've heard of these but haven't a clue when and where to use them and which is best.

Look forward to seeing what everybody's go to bait is! Thanks in advance for all your tips. :thumbsup_anim:

if you don't know where the walleye are the best method is to troll to find them...I like mepps spinners tipped with a minnow or worm, a worm harness works well too..if you think the fish should be active crank baits can cover a lot of water fast..

once I catch a fish or 2. I stop on the spot I caught them and still fish with a jig or crank bait or live bait if I think the fish are inactive

trolling is a little tough from shore!

but yes, always the bet bet if you have a boat.

you cant go wrong with live bait for walleyes.

if you are more into the challenge and just want to use artificals, then the three you mentioned (jig&grub, deep divers, worm harness) would be the way to go.

at night the walleyes move up shallow trapping baitfish, so keep trying things until you find out what they are into.

good luck!

cant wait to see the report with a picture of your first walleye!

Water depth?

When our crew was on Lake Erie, some spots were about 30' deep. From the boat, we used 4oz bottom bouncers and a worm harness. However, the ones in that link have smaller blades than what we were using.

We had size 3 to 5 Colorado blades, and about 6 beads... red/white combination. Slayed them all day, with very few less than 20".

A couple of you mentioned a key issue - depth. At this time of year where are the walleye likely to be? Deep during the day and shallow at night?

Unfortunately, I have no idea how deep the lake is I will be fishing. That said whether I have a boat or not I tend to like to fish near features close to shore, islands, shoals etc, rather than trolling on large expanses of open water.

What lake depths should I target and do I presume that the fish will be near bottom?

Is my best bet for catching a walleye from or close to shore in the evening then?

Sorry for lots of questions - just keen to catch a new species.

Thx

now with depth for walleye I fish for them as shallow as I can

even thou most may be deep, they are not active

if you can find them shallow they are there to eat most times so you can catch them easier..or they are hiding in thick weeds and a jig dropped on their nose will get them to bite

I have got them at nite near shore, easy pitching distance on a jig and pig shallow water sort of 4 to 6 feet with deeper water close by. Sand and gravel bottom with scattered weeds. Casting a lure like a rattle trap from shore at nite can work too. Daytime from shore the rattle trap or a diving crankbait might be a good plan, just try to tap weeds or bottom once in a while.

They can get pretty shallow after dark, lake I fished in New York I never headed out till like 10 pm. They seemed to like the edges first drop from shore, especially with the right bottom mix. A light on a dock or waterfront cabin can attract baitfish at nite, also the walleye.

At times they aren`t as finicky feeder as people think, I have gotten them on most bass tackle with the exception of surface lures. Not to say they wouldn`t take one though.

For the most up-to-date information on fishing conditions and a great place to get live bait, boat rentals, and also the best tasting fish coating mix (Bing's Best Breading), stop in at...

honeymoon173small2kz.jpg

Also, try fishing near the boat ramp at Bell's point, I was snorkelling there and saw the biggest school of Pickerel (They are not called Walleye anymore once you hit Hwy 11) I also saw 2 Muskie and hoards of shiners. All within casting distance from shore.

Cheers,

Tony

Wind can affect where the active walleye are found, too. I caught my first walleye this time of year during a sunny mid-afternoon by trolling a stickbait across a point with an onshore breeze.

Good point. Forgot about that one till you mentioned it.

We always look for the 'Walleye Chop'. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info guys.

TonyB - you've really got me excited now - I think the campsite we have is at Bells Point, so close to where you saw the school of pickeral and musky - could this be a weekend where I can catch two new species, and maybe even from shore? Fingers crossed.

well 007 you are in luck. I am also headed to restoule this wekend. This will be my 18th year .I am also camped in the park in the Kettle Lake area,also on the water. As for shore fishing for walleye,the waters in the park offer very little spots for shore angling for pickerel. Your best bet would be off the dock at Bells. I have seen and caught myself several large smallies. I have also seen pike and musky caught off the dock,but never any walleye. The shoreline on the park side is generally shallow. You can catch lots of smallies off the beaches of the park,especially early in the morning.You will have to either have a boat or rent one from Bing at Martins. The large island in front of the main park beach on the west side is a large weedbed in the 12-15ft depth range that holds lots of walleyes.You will see the boats out there starting around 7pm each night.Also the far west end of the lake offers the best fishing for walleyes. If you do have a boat better luck yet should be had on Stormy Lake,also part of the park. I will be there from 28th of june to the 13th of july. I have a white and black starcraft with a 40 evinrude on it. I am at site 432,if you need some info just stop by. good luck

Derek

Thanks Bowslayer. Lots of great info. Maybe see you out there. Thanks to you and TonyB I have a much better understanding of the place and the fishing opportunities before I arrive.