Bassin' the Island Lake

Golfisher

A quick report on my bass opener in the Island Lake, aka Orangeville Reservoir. I had planned to hit the lake on Saturday, but had to wait another day as my fishing buddy had to work overtime on Saturday. Frustrating, but the wait was worth it as I got some decent action. The number was not much to speak of (3 landed, 3 lost), but the size was, for this lake, a pleasant surprise. Here are some pictures; ignore the ulgly mug shots and concentrate on the fish. :lol:

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

Now, for the many experienced bassers gracing this board, these fish may not seem much, but my relationship with bass had been estranged to say the least--I caught a grand total of one decent bass the whole season last year--and so I am very happy to have begun to patch whatever ill-feelings that might have separated us.

The lake was choke-full of weeds; you couldn't escape them even if your life depended. It was a pain in the butt to push through the boat on a 30 lb trolloing motor--the trip back from the east arm took us nearly an hour--and the water level was down as well, making it that much more annoying. But for boatless people like myself, the lake does offer good, relatively inexpensive fishing opportunties close by GTA.

All fish came courtesy of Mr. Yamamoto, on senkos rigged weightless and worked very, very slowly in the stumps and weed pockets.

Guest Johnny Bass

Those are some nice LM bass! I have caught some monsters at Island Lake. I too use plastics, top waters and spinner baits but my biggest came off a Husky jerk. Dont be afraid to work deeper water with a texas rigged worm. When you find em, your worm wont even have a chance to hit the ground. You'll see your line moving quickly.