Are Wolves the new Bears? From MNR Watch

Old Ironmaker

38 minutes ago, Joeytier said:

And what demographic of people do you think contribute most to Ducks Unlimited?  I would bet that hunters are at the top of the list.

"The whole argument that "wolf populations are doing great" is pretty Bull because when was the last time you saw a wolf in the GTA? "  Not sure what evidence you're willing to put forward on that, but the Grey Wolf and Eastern Coyote, and any genetic hybrid thereof, are both officially listed as 'Not at Risk' in both Ontario and in Canada.  66% of Ontario is forested land, not sure why the GTA is even being brought up, since it contains approximately zero suitable habitat for wolves.  Don't like trapping and hunting wolves?  Then don't trap or hunt wolves.  I don't participate in either myself (not particularly interested), but do you not see the hypocrisy as a sportsman to insult those that do?

Im not insulting those that partake, i juts dont think that I can agree with it when as you have mentioned we have decimated any potential habitat for them south of what highway 11? There is a whole boat load of deer and vermin down here but not a lot of large predators to control the population.

Really though what it boils down to is that IMO hunting for the sake of anything aside from feeding yourself is not something that I can agree with. It's like taking trophy fish to get mounts made out of them, i dont agree with that either. Eat what you kill.

here in southern Ontario. Essex.kent Middlesex county,things changed. coyotes in the 1960-1980 era were a rarity. .when  the no trespass laws changed small game harvest ,yotes exploded...single coyotes rarely pull a deer down,but we have packs..3 years back a group shot 280 coyotes in 1 winter. hardly a dent .

8 hours ago, outllaw said:

here in southern Ontario. Essex.kent Middlesex county,things changed. coyotes in the 1960-1980 era were a rarity. .when  the no trespass laws changed small game harvest ,yotes exploded...single coyotes rarely pull a deer down,but we have packs..3 years back a group shot 280 coyotes in 1 winter. hardly a dent .

That pretty much follows how it happened in Niagara. Never saw a coyote in my years before I went to University in 69 and I worked on a farm and hunted every weekend so if they were around I would have known. After graduation I moved back and got in with a group that hunted around Dunnville, we sent 20 some pelts to the fur auction in North Bay spring of 77, almost all yotes and a few fox, the population had just exploded out of nothing in the early 70's and only got larger since then. Actually deer were also not as abundant in the 60's, they exploded as well, shot my first deer in the first controlled hunt in southern Ontario, probably 77, the archery season started a few years earlier.