Boater Missing on the FLW

AKRISONER

I saw a bass boat on nipissing almost sink from chop out but the manitou islands.  They were able to get to shore in time so it didn't fully sink.  They said the waves came over and almost sunk them.  Deep V if your in big water seems safer to me! 

Cheers!

Edited by lunkerbasshunter

Read in the paper this morning the FLW tourney has been cancelled. The second fisherman has yet to be found and the survivor is still in serious condition because of hypothermia. The Coast Guard has suspended their rescue efforts and the local PD continues the search. Both were seasoned tourney guys with over 60 tournaments each.

We are in Boynton Beach a suburb of West Palm today. I went to a local Marina/Bait shop in West Palm yesterday and all the talk was about this tragic death. Even though there a millions of sport fishermen here it is a very tight knit community, everyone knows everyone. Our condolences to the friends and family of Nik Kayler, and I can tell you from the folks I have met here he had many friends. A Vet with a young family.

Apparently it was a rouge wave that ejected Nik out of the boat at high speed. It has been close for me a few times out here on Erie. Twice I hit a wave wrong and my passenger ended up at the back of the boat, both times the removable seat came out of its base and if it was a I/O they would be in the water for certain. It can happen and happen easily. Thinking about it now once actually there wasn't bad water, I ran across a wake and the 140 pound kid went flying. I used to remove that seat to keep the base clean and easily removable. After the second time I have left it right where it is, same as my helm seat. Perhaps the Port seat should be fixed permanently like some helm seats. I would like a grab bar installed on the port dash somehow.  Something to think about.

A fund raiser has been set up with a goal of raising 15K and so far $38,000.00 has been raised. I put 25 bucks in a jar there. I challenge us members of OFC to donate whatever you can, 5 bucks from 100 people, heck a tooney adds up.. Had I not met some of his pals and a donation was easy to do I may not have bothered to go on line etc. so I understand. It could have been any of us here.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

We are in Boynton Beach a suburb of West Palm today. I went to a local Marina/Bait shop in West Palm yesterday and all the talk was about this tragic death. Even though there a millions of sport fishermen here it is a very tight knit community, everyone knows everyone. Our condolences to the friends and family of Nik Kayler, and I can tell you from the folks I have met here he had many friends. A Vet with a young family.

Apparently it was a rouge wave that ejected Nik out of the boat at high speed. It has been close for me a few times out here on Erie. Twice I hit a wave wrong and my passenger ended up at the back of the boat, both times the removable seat came out of its base and if it was a I/O they would be in the water for certain. It can happen and happen easily. I used to remove that seat to keep the base clean and easily removable. After the second time I have left it right where it is, same as my helm seat. Perhaps the Port seat should be fixed permanently like some helm seats.  Something to think about.

A fund raiser has been set up with a goal of raising 15K and so far $38,000.00 has been raised. I put 25 bucks in a jar there. I challenge us members of OFC to donate whatever you can, 5 bucks from 100 people, heck a tooney adds up.. Had I not met some of his pals and a donation was easy to do I may not have bothered to go on line etc. so I understand. It could have been any of us here.

his driver also has a go fundme to help him with his medical bills and no doubt the counselling that he is going to need.

Bill was very very lucky to survive, apparently was very close to not making it himself.

Yes Akri, you are right. Many times the life of the survivor is negatively changed forever and he or she will need therapy for years to come, most refuse it and suffer alone. I think we have seen it first hand over the years and we all have a story. It isn't uncommon for the survivor to take their own lives, often for something called survivor guilt.