Raven RPX

blaque

Mr procrastinator over here (ya me) .........is looking to get into a new float rod and wouldnt ya know it, steelhead season is just around the corner.

So, im looking at off the shelf rods as there is no way ill be able to get a custom built in time for the season.

I dig the Raven RPX series and fished an IM8 over the years which did fine on Lake Erie and Ontario steelhead, warranty is great etc......looking at the RPX as there was a handful of times i felt i needed a little more backbone

Anybody on the board here have any experience with the RPX specifically the 13ft 2 piece with fixed reel seat?

Itll be paired with an EBA Calibre ll

I personally have not used the rod, but have buds that have them and have nothing bad to say. Solid off the shelf rod. Back bone and quick tip.

I past on my CTS custom to my oldest son, so I am now once again using a off the shelf Quantum tour pt float rod. Back bone and quick tip as well. 2pc 13ft. I have used it a ton and have no complaints.

Edited by Misfish

I just Googled that rod, a lot of cake is right, 500 Bananas, not sure if USD. Wowza. For a few more peso's I can buy new Pings, and will get 7 of them or something I can actually use. For $500.00 I can get about 10 rods or more, I'm not into spending big bux for rods, reels a bit more but not much more. I usually get all my "new" stuff at the Tackle Swap in Hamilton every March, and I don't need any of the stuff I buy. I don't know if true or not but I was told the biggest depreciation is on fishing tackle. Real news or fake news?

I hear ya guys, it certainly is alot of dough.....it's what's keeping me from just snapping it up and giving it a spin.

The whole custom thing, many of the results I see are WAY too busy in the cork and thread designs. I like monotone cork patterns and very bare bones wraps. Which I spose I could direct a builder to do. Along with a nice rich looking reel seat. Again the issue is time at this point.

Ya ive got two other rods to fish..... So maybe I get by with the raven I have (but I hate it as it's a 3 piece) or the St Croix but it's a pretty weak rod (wild river) it does just fine on the cookie cutter fish off erie

I just can't bring myself to put this beautiful new pin on an old rod haha

I just Googled that rod, a lot of cake is right, 500 Bananas, not sure if USD. Wowza. For a few more peso's I can buy new Pings, and will get 7 of them or something I can actually use. For $500.00 I can get about 10 rods or more, I'm not into spending big bux for rods, reels a bit more but not much more. I usually get all my "new" stuff at the Tackle Swap in Hamilton every March, and I don't need any of the stuff I buy. I don't know if true or not but I was told the biggest depreciation is on fishing tackle. Real news or fake news?

The investment in equipment and materials to make rod blanks is substantial, even more so with longer and more technical blanks. The mandrels need to be made on a centerless grinder, the rolling tables are not cheap, and the oven needs to be custom made. Quality pre-preg graphite is sold in large quantities, got to carry lots of inventory. On a high-volume rod these costs can be spread out over a lot of rods, with a low-volume rod such as a centerpin rod the markup needs to be much higher to recoup those costs and make some money.

I hear ya guys, it certainly is alot of dough.....it's what's keeping me from just snapping it up and giving it a spin.

The whole custom thing, many of the results I see are WAY too busy in the cork and thread designs. I like monotone cork patterns and very bare bones wraps. Which I spose I could direct a builder to do. Along with a nice rich looking reel seat. Again the issue is time at this point.

Ya ive got two other rods to fish..... So maybe I get by with the raven I have (but I hate it as it's a 3 piece) or the St Croix but it's a pretty weak rod (wild river) it does just fine on the cookie cutter fish off erie

I just can't bring myself to put this beautiful new pin on an old rod haha

Agreed about the busy designs. I see some of the saltwater rods being made and it's like they're trying to compete with NASCAR. I feel that a bigger statement is made by one or two classy accents rather than a rod covered in statement pieces.

Agreed about the busy designs. I see some of the saltwater rods being made and it's like they're trying to compete with NASCAR. I feel that a bigger statement is made by one or two classy accents rather than a rod covered in statement pieces.

You guys get it lol

I don't like the RPX because it has reflex guides on the top half like the Loomis GLX and they all groove even with mono eventually. If you are on Facebook join the Riverrats classified ads for centerpin and fly fishing group. Many US rods are on this site. Since you hate 3 piece rods the RV9 wouldn't be for you.

I don't like the RPX because it has reflex guides on the top half like the Loomis GLX and they all groove even with mono eventually. If you are on Facebook join the Riverrats classified ads for centerpin and fly fishing group. Many US rods are on this site. Since you hate 3 piece rods the RV9 wouldn't be for you.

Thats some good info , thanks man

Golfed this week at Arrowhead in your neck of the woods with a few of your neighbours, even at US prices you can't beat that track. A comparable course in Niagara such as Legends is double the price. After getting beat up by the course and my cousins I should have gone fishin'.

I'll be across the street at Rothland day after tomorrow for my league...... Playoffs are done but we've got some make up rounds to get in. Much more wide open than arrowhead, more my speed lol. Hope u enjoyed ur visit