Country living. Time to Tap Out.

Rent is crazy where I am in Markham. A 1BR apartment in my building starts at $1,200 and I'm paying $1,400 for a 2BR.

Buying a house is pretty much out of the question for anyone not already in the market. Around here people pay a million dollars for a perfectly good bungalow and then bulldoze it and build a McMansion.

I pay $550 for a 4 bedroom lol

I feel for y'all in that area

But it's changing quick with the gold mine 30km away, prices to buy jumped alot.

Im Having a house built now, be ready in July. A 6 bedroom is only costing us $170,000. But it's on Rez land so that's the downside, we'll never actually own the land.

Prices here almost tripled as soon as the mine came in

I pay $550 for a 4 bedroom lol

I feel for y'all in that area

But it's changing quick with the gold mine 30km away, prices to buy jumped alot.

Im Having a house built now, be ready in July. A 6 bedroom is only costing us $170,000. But it's on Rez land so that's the downside, we'll never actually own the land.

Prices here almost tripled as soon as the mine came in

we're trying to find a 3 bedroom apartment or house, and its insane, apartments are $1500 a month plus parking for 2 vehicles a whole house rents out for $1800-2200 plus utilities.

im almost tempted to move our bedroom downstairs and turn the master into another kids room

we're trying to find a 3 bedroom apartment or house, and its insane, apartments are $1500 a month plus parking for 2 vehicles a whole house rents out for $1800-2200 plus utilities.

im almost tempted to move our bedroom downstairs and turn the master into another kids room

Should have seen when I was in grande prairie (during stable oil production)

I had a 3 bedroom appartment for $2200, childcare for 2 boys cost me $1700/month lol

Unreal. But it is what it is

When I went to U of T in 69, my student residence was $325 I believe without a meal package, tuition was about $525 for a professional degree, books were another 2 bills, you could eat on 20 a week. If ya didn't party too much :whistling: ,could probably do the whole year on a bit over 2 grand.. I have a hard time wrapping my old brain around prices of things anymore.

We moved from the GTA to Wasaga when we retired. Couldn't be happier with our location. The 'country' is easily accessible e.g. going to my favorite fishing spot i.e. 'up North'. Yet we have the all the services of a fair sized town. For us it's the right balance. I understand that prices have jumped here in the last few years, but I don't really know because 'we ain't movin'.

Not even your age John :tease: but beginning to think the same way for different reasons. Once the youngest if off to University in 4-5 years country living will be finished. Downsizing and into town... mostly because 6 months of the year or more, Bren and I won't be living anywhere but north for work.

Good luck in the life change, you'll be A-OK!

Where I live in Oakville near Sheridan College, house prices were going up by $1000 a day this past winter! It was Chinese investors, individuals and companies, buying the houses sight unseen. The foreign buyers tax came in April. People who recently bought houses took a hair cut. I'd be careful making a move right now, wait until things stabilize.

Edited by chris.brock

My son is going to start at Brock in St. Catharines this September. The rent prices for a one bedroom or bachelor apartment are about $700-$900 month. I'm now seriously considering buying another house and just renting out one bedroom to subsidize the costs. Any thoughts? You can still buy a small home for <$300K.

I think that would be a smart move if you're ok with the odd hassle and headache. I rented houses to students for 15 years until I had enough of the headaches. It can be lucrative. PM me if you think I could help.