Cold Front Carp Night Fishing - June 19th

ccmtcanada

We keep hearing about how the bite turns off, like other fish, with a sweeping cold front. We've been out 3 previous times this year after a cold front and a good rain, and we've had success! After those awesome storms that blew through yesterday, we thought we'd try carp fishing again.

We got there around 8pm, took a look around....things seemed eerily quiet!! We put our lines in anyways and decided to see what would happen. We both had some line bumps, but no takers. At around 9pm, I finally had a fish on! It pulled lots of drag from my reel...just as I thought I was making progress, I'd lost all ground I made. Long story short, I lost it. Oh well, the bite seemed on....I'll get another one right?

Well, the bite seemed to disappear!! No line bumps, no nothing!! The wind picked up to around 30kph, and the currents kept moving our feeders around!! It seemed that we may be skunked tonight. Oh well...these things happen. I had been skunked in my 3 previous outings, so I was hoping to land at least one fish.

At 10:15, the bite turned on.....BIG TIME!!!! We both are feeling line bumps and pulls....and Bly yells "Fish on!". After a nice little battle, she landed a nice 33", 18 pounder! After a quick pic, we release it and put our lines back in. Literally a few minutes later, Bly pulls in a little guy! Victor had asked us if we ever caught small fish....this one was for him....a little 27" 7 pounder!!! LOL.

We put our lines in yet again....and you guessed it...bly has yet another fish on!! This one was a hard one to get it. As she's bringing it in, it goes on the OTHER side of the "log from hell". Thinking quickly, she tried to make sure her line was on top of the log (not an easy feat in the dark), and then opened the bail, hoping that it would swim by the entire length of it. As it turned out, the carp did indeed do that....and she pulled in a nice 27", 12 pounder.

I was beginning to think that she was going to catch all the fish!!!! It didn't help out when a few minutes later she said fish on yet again....LOL. This one came in at 28" and 14.5 pounds. Ok...I just wanted ONE fish....didn't care how big....just A fish!!!! A little while later, I finally felt that huge line pull and hookset! It came in like a baby...half wondered if it was a carp at all....haha. Anyhow, this one was 27" and almost 11 pounds.

It was beginning to get a bit late....it was 11:20pm and we thought we'd do one last cast. Wouldn't you know it, I get the next fish too. This one didn't want to come in. Whenever I would gain ground, it would take it back. It fought all the way in, but when I landed it, it was all worth it! Our biggest of the night came in at 35" and 22 pounds 6 ounces!!

Here are pics of our biggest fish....

Bly's 18 pounder....

gallery_60_23_44375.jpg

And mine...the 22 pounder....gallery_60_23_7385.jpg

At the end of the 4 hours, Bly went 4 for 4 and I was 2 for 3. This was our best outing yet. We had never landed 6 in one evening. Well, our theory on storms and carp seem to be holding true. Anyone else have success fishing in a cold front after storms?

Well, no more carp reports until next week sometime....so Victor, go to bed before 1130pm...LOL. Only a few days to prepare for Lakair!!

Another great report. To answer your question yes, I have a friend who is a hard core carp fisherman, if that is even possible. (lol) and he is always out fishing for carp right after a cold front, and usually is very successful,

he acually says the bigger fish are caught right after a cold front. I'm not much of a carp fisherman so I personaly don't really know. great report.

it's finally here :D ... seems like half the report is dedicated to me <_< ...

7lbs isn't that small, i just caught a 1lb fish 2 days ago haha.

Congrats on yet another great outing after a cold front! 20lbers are common to you guys now eh ... it's interesting how they turn off/on at a certain time within a few hours.

I'm gonna miss those 11 30pm carp reports :wallbash:

What? no more report for the week? How am I going to get through those long dark night without your reports? LOL

Another good report as usual. I wish I lived closer to big carp ground...

P.S.: It wasn't because of the cold front...it's because there wasn't any wolf around when you fished last night :whistling:

Edited by wolfville

Sounds like you're really hooked into carp now. I think from one of your posts you said you'll try fishing for them. And now you'll have a blast.

:lol:

dsn

Yeah dsn....back in February I think, I posted that was going to target them this spring and summer. The main reason was that no one on my OFC team was going to, so I figured that was my opportunity to contribute to it. Also...seeing how big they are...how many shore anglers get a decent shot at catching a 20+ pound fish?

Little did I know that once you hook into a few it gets a little addicting!!! LOL.