fishing knife gift advice?

FishitJ

Hello Ontario Fishing Community forum,

First off I have to say it's great to be here and I'm looking forward to speaking with you all. As you guys can see from the title I am looking for some advice on a fishing knife and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

It's my uncles birthday coming up soon and it's about time I got him something special. Ever since I was young he has looked after me, taken me on a few fishing trips and helped me out whenever needed. I'm wanting to get him something that really says thank you. I thought of a knife because he's been fishing for many years and he has just about everything you could think of, differently everything he needs. But a decent knife will always come in handy.

Anyway, every time he goes fishing he will pull out the BBQ and get some sausages and burgers on the go, from time to time I remember steaks and pork chops also. So I was thinking why not go down this route because he likes cooking and it will always come in handy but I'm clueless about knives, you should see my kitchen set at home. There are loads of places to buy knives like here http://www.used.forsale/canada/calgarybut getting the right one will be my problem. I am also wanting to write (engrave) a little something on the side of the knife, not thought of what yet. What do you guys think would be a great knife for cooking that I could also get engraved that my Uncle would really appreciate?

Really looking forward to speaking with you guys

Thanks

$(KGrHqF,!rkFHoV!Yy%20NBSB3Fk2BiQ~~_32.J

Edited by FishitJ

There are many companies out there that can "engrave" or 'note' your special gift but if you are going for a 'special fishing knife' well then I'd wait and see what a few members here come back with as some do that. What is your timeline like? I'd PM Art to start and see what he says or who he directs you to.

I would not use a fillet knife for everyday kitchen work. They are sharp enough, but not the best for chopping. Find a quality knife like the one you posted. Pampered Chef make a pretty good knife.

It kind of depends on what you want the knife to do and what you want to spend. A kitchen knife can be either a paring knife if they do a lot of hand work and peeling or a 7 chef knife for chopping. The blade material has 24 or more ratings the higher the rockwell scale the harder the metal is. The harder the metal the harder it is to sharpen but the longer it stays sharp. A knife can be 45 dollars or 245 dollars depending on the metal and the handle material. When you go custom you are adding cost because the handles are hand crafted and finished. The average knife I build has over 5 hours in the handle alone. 440c and aus 10 are what most knifes are made of and are a good balance of hardness and flexibility. VG10 is a better metal and is harder than 440c it is what I usually use for higher end chefs knife with a damascus finish (patterned). For a nice knife tha is factory made here is a website you can visit. If you find a knife you like send me the link and what you plan on using it for and I will give you an opinion on if it is the right knife. I would not engrave the blade if it is etched or engraved it will stain in the metal that is removed. A laser engraved blade is where it is discolored by energy and in some cases wears off and fades. A nice note with the blade explaining why he deserves the knife will be a better way to say thanks for all that he did.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/japanese-kitchen-knives?src=Google&cam=Gen+Cutlery&sub=Japanese+Chefs+Knives&kw=japanese%20chef%20knife&gclid=CPrR57KhyMsCFc8lgQodxlgFHA

While my name is Art you can find me as aplumma on this site.

Art