Advice on used boat purchase

busta39

Where are you located as someone on this site might be local and come for a ride for a meal and gas cash to cover travel.

I all located in Aurora. I am trying to connect with the seller but I believe the boat is in the Mississauga or Milton area.

It is quite a haul for me to Mississauga. But if you can't get anyone else and will cover my gas I will take the ride and help you check the boat out. Lunch too!

See, my idea of offering a meal and gas just got you an offer to help. Take his offer if you can!

Appreciate all the feedback. I am going to ask for the buyer to allow a marine mechanic to take a look as a condition. Considering these boats don't come around too often I hope he agrees. I have seen a few Lund's recently but they are all over 20k. This is more in my price range and only has the basics I am looking for as my first boat. It also helps that it fits in my garage with the swing tongue.

I strongly suggest you keep looking if the seller has an issue with having a mechanic inspect the boat/motor. If there is an issue with the motor, it represents a huge part of that $12K and your "deal" becomes your nightmare. You sound very anxious to get a boat but don't let your heart take the lead here...it's your head that'll save your butt. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Would bet this boat new today, with a 50hp, trolling motor, electronics and some odds and ends, with taxes and the dollar the way it is, would be nearing $30,000.

It's doubtful it'll be the boat you have to worry about being up to snuff, just that motor. And yeah, under-powered but it'll still get the job done. If you can pay $12,000 for it and everything is in good shape, that'd be an alright purchase. Boat, motor, trailer, accessories... Giddy-up! Upgrade the motor to a 75 when you can.

My $0.02

Would bet this boat new today, with a 50hp, trolling motor, electronics and some odds and ends, with taxes and the dollar the way it is, would be nearing $30,000.

It's doubtful it'll be the boat you have to worry about being up to snuff, just that motor. And yeah, under-powered but it'll still get the job done. If you can pay $12,000 for it and everything is in good shape, that'd be an alright purchase. Boat, motor, trailer, accessories... Giddy-up! Upgrade the motor to a 75 when you can.

My $0.02

I think the old rebel 1625 is the same as the new fury xl 1625, which can be had for around 22+fees and tax.

Either way, I havent seen any boats in that price range with that specs yet, anything down in that price range ive seen has been junk

Pretty sure the Fury and Rebel are close, but not the Rebel XL. It has to be bigger than the Fury... But the new Rebel XL is slightly bigger still than the one he's looking at. Believe it's 3 inches deeper and maxes out with a 90HP now. Buddy of mine just bought it, fully loaded and maxed out for about $40,000. The Fury is overall a smaller line-up unless that's changed with this years boats..?

Edited by Moosebunk

I dislike looking at US prices for new vehicles including boats. Even adding 30% dealers here can't touch the prices. We'll go into the showroom when I need some parts and go down the line up pointing and saying "not in this lifetime, not in this lifetime, 649, Lotto Max, not in this lifetime." To replace my 19'6" Starcraft with what I have on her a new similar Crestliner with a 4 stroke comes in at around 45 thousand, not in this lifetime! Less room inside, in fact I like mine more.

I dislike looking at US prices for new vehicles including boats. Even adding 30% dealers here can't touch the prices. We'll go into the showroom when I need some parts and go down the line up pointing and saying "not in this lifetime, not in this lifetime, 649, Lotto Max, not in this lifetime." To replace my 19'6" Starcraft with what I have on her a new similar Crestliner with a 4 stroke comes in at around 45 thousand, not in this lifetime! Less room inside, in fact I like mine more.

LOL, the boat prices are scary enough here now, I can only imagine how they seem with the exchange rate added!

The last boat I looked at live was in 2004-2005? I was sick then and not sure why, glad I didn't buy it! Also a Crestliner, great setup for my type of fishing, but I had a feeling my fishing days were numbered.

I strongly suggest you keep looking if the seller has an issue with having a mechanic inspect the boat/motor. If there is an issue with the motor, it represents a huge part of that $12K and your "deal" becomes your nightmare.

I've made this mistake a few times in the past when I bought packages or separate motors until I learned to get things looked over or at minimum a good water test. Two motors cost me significant time and/or money to fix. Never again.

Price can be hard to resist sometimes but it can end up in a pay less now, more later pretty quick if you run into issues.

Edited by Spooled