Mexico fly fishing info needed

muskymatt

I'm going to Barcelo Maya Beach on Saturday and have been looking for fishing opportunities in the area. I've seen videos and advertising for Ascension bay but that is 100k away and getting there is an issue. I would have to rent a car or hire a shuttle bus and it would be like $400 to do that so that's out. Was wondering if anyone had stayed at this resort and knew anything about fishing the beach area? I stayed 50km up the coast last year at Iberostar Lindo and fishing from the beach was pretty good for Bonefish and needlefish and other small reef fish.

I would bring a spinning rod and with bait you can have a good time on the reefs. dawn and dusk are the best times to fish. 1 oz sinkers and #10 hooks bring plenty the snags eat alot of them. I usually use 65lb braid if you get a strong fish you can clamp down and turn him or force a release before he spools you.

Good luck and enjoy

Art

I would bring a spinning rod and with bait you can have a good time on the reefs. dawn and dusk are the best times to fish. 1 oz sinkers and #10 hooks bring plenty the snags eat alot of them. I usually use 65lb braid if you get a strong fish you can clamp down and turn him or force a release before he spools you.

Good luck and enjoy

Art

Thanks

I have a St.Croix travel spinning rod and a penn frc6000 spooled with 80lb pp. I will be bringing some 150lb fluoro muskie leaders and some storm wildeye swim shad and other baits. Also will be packing a few smaller hooks for the reef fish. Thanks for the advice.

My lures have been cut down to Chrome rattle traps, Heavy casting spoon, Topwater chugger bug. Sabrinki Rig, and jigs with tails. The balance is hooks and lead with 20lb mono between the hook and sinker to easily pop off a sinker snag.

Art

That seems expensive. I'd definitely try and do some research before you go. Should be a lot of shore spots available. Anything booked through the resort is usually super expensive. I'd rather give me $$$ to a local who probably knows all the spots as well :)

Looks like the resort has day trips for bonefish for $600 US, transportation included. Just what I was looking for.

http://www.pescamaya.com/en/daytrips.html

My experience with the resort run trips hasn't been great. I would look for yourself and find a local guide that will take you out. Sometimes you can find a local fisherman who will let you tag a long for a few bucks, and provide you with the best fishing.

S.