Backwoods cooking addition

muskymatt

I've been looking for a while for a good, light weight frying pan to use for my Algonquin park portage and canoe excursions. I looked everywhere and googled places in the states and Canada for a pan. They were hard to find and not cheap, usually in the $100-$150 range.

I was in the Ottawa scout shop looking for one and all they had was cast iron, which was the usual conclusion when searching. A customer overheard me and recommended a place in Ottawa called Russell Kitchen supply. I immediately went down and found exactly what I was searching for. A 15" wide 2-3/4" tall pan with a long handle. It's carbon steel and very durable, perfect for on an open fire.

It had a scratch on the inside and a couple on the bottom so the clerk gave it to me for $13......??????wow

Can't wait to try this baby out in the bush.

Fry pan.jpg

Cooking on a fire without cast iron?? Say whaaaaa??

I only cook at home with cast but after lugging my 15" cast iron 35kms into the park the last couple of years I said no more lol.

Things gotta weigh 20lbs or more. These carbon steel pans are used by chefs in kitchens on gas flame all the time and will work just as well over a wood fire. And at less than 3.5lbs it will be a lot friendlier on the person carrying it on their pack.

I only cook at home with cast but after lugging my 15" cast iron 35kms into the park the last couple of years I said no more lol.

Things gotta weigh 20lbs or more. These carbon steel pans are used by chefs in kitchens on gas flame all the time and will work just as well over a wood fire. And at less than 3.5lbs it will be a lot friendlier on the person carrying it on their pack.

I hear ya, just yankin your chain!

S.