Family fishing with Reeds on Lake Nippising

First of all, thank you to everyone for all of the recommendations. We couldn't be happier with Reeds fishing huts. A+++ people and accommodations all the way. Needless to say, we will be going back next year once again to spend an overnight.

We decided that we would do a weekend fishing lake Nippising this year. Usually once a year I like to bring my mom and my grandfather someplace nice to get some primo ice fishing in. This year, the girl I'm seeing, Sara said that she would like to come. She had never been fishing before and wanted to see what the excitement was all about.

We left for North Bay Saturday around noon. Got up to our hotel room around 4. After dinner and some cards, we hit the beds relatively early. I wish I had pictures of the first night, but it was pretty straight forward stuff.

We wake up on Sunday and go out to meet up with Reeds. I drive out on the ice, which is a shock to everyone. First, they couldn't believe there was a parking lot made on Lake Nippising, second, they couldn't believe that I was going to drive my car out on it. Melissa was parked right beside us. After loading all of the gear up and meeting her lapdog Fin (Ha) we were on our way. The 5km ride out to the hut was a real treat. None of my family had ever ridden a truck out on the ice, and with the temperature being -22 I know everyone was nervous about my grandfather getting out there.

Melissa explained that the day huts were taken in so we were getting an overnight one. What a treat!

nip7_zpsjkczpwcr.jpg

Our ice home for the next 6 hours.

Melissa explained that with the warm weather the fishing had been a little slow and set us up. Between the conversation and the food we really didn't mind all that much. Some perch came and went.

nip6_zps9enzzllb.jpg

A handful decided to stay for dinner (We kept 7 in all, 4 of ours and the Reeds gave us 3 more big ones they landed)

About mid-day I go out for a bathroom break. I hear inside the hut, yelling and my mom and Sara sounding very happy. I rush back inside to see this.

nip4_zpsqcqayl1e.jpg

I leave for 6 minutes and Sara catches the biggest fish of the day. A beautiful herring. I was sad I missed her real it in, but she was an absolute champ, taking the fish off the hook, asking how to hold it.

nip5_zpsqkkjrirv.jpg

After that, she was hooked. She wanted to put her own minnows on the hook, was asking all about the lures. Was playing with the sonar.

I ended up losing a big whitefish at the hole which was silly. Couldn't figure out how to get it up into the cabin without breaking the line (seriously, ask my grandfather about the size. This was no fish story)

nip2_zpsruuk5v9j.jpg

All in all was a great day. As I mentioned, we ended up keeping a few. My grandfather was happy. He loves fresh fish. And I got to spend more time with the ones I love doing what I love.

nip3_zpsviv8qfma.jpg

A final parting shot with out 'Lucky Touques' my mom made for us.

nip1_zpsxhdpwtwh.jpg

See you next year Lake Nippising. We'll be back, and staying the night to get the late night and early morning bites.

:Gonefishing::Gonefishing::Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

I run a NO GIRL guide service, so I guess you wont be fishing anytime soon with me. LMAO

Great report and the family outing report is AWESOME.

I still dont believe the big white fish story. Never happen. Nope. LOL

Thanks for sharing bud. :good:

Haha thanks guys.

Great trip! Little tip...most people clean their fish before cooking em

We had em hidden here so the crows and gulls wouldn't eat em.

I run a NO GIRL guide service, so I guess you wont be fishing anytime soon with me. LMAO

Great report and the family outing report is AWESOME.

I still dont believe the big white fish story. Never happen. Nope. LOL

Thanks for sharing bud. :good:

I'll bring my grandfather. He'll confirm and you'll get along great. He's almost as essentric as you are...... almost.