Pilot, highlander or Santa Fe ?

rob v

While I agree that a new vehicle typically makes for a poor financial investment I think that the rate of depreciation, depending on the vehicle, is often somewhat exaggerated. Lately I've been dreaming of buying a new truck but also looking at newer used ones and the depreciation isnt as much as you would think or hope for.

Buy used, let someone else take the 30% depreciation hit when he drives off the lot. Same goes with boats.

I always used to do that. But recently the difference between new and used ist what it used to be, And now I know what happened the first 60,000 k.

And for the OP - I had the older (ugly) version of the santa fe with the 2.5 litre. It had a zero interference engine - which resulted in some pretty expensive situations. The first one was caused by (we suspect, but it was never confirmed) a dishonest dealer who did most of the maintenance, Either didn't change the timing belt, or did it poorly, 3000 k after that service, the belt broke and there was major damage to the engine. Hyundai did cover most of the cost. But, about 5000 k after that an engine bearing failed and that destroyed the rebuilt engine. I'm pretty sure that bearing suffered damage in the first incident and it was just a matter of time. That one was lly my cost. Put a used motor in at a cost of just over 3k. I only pulled my 16 footer with that vehicle a couple times, and it was pretty much all it could do. When I upgraded the boat, I upgraded the vehicle. Now run a Rdigeline with a cap. Gives me 4 seats and a ton of safe cargo space. Pulls the 18 ftr with two motors, tackle, camping gear you name it no problem Rated for 5000 lbs. Same frame as the Pilot I believe, I have over 220k kms on it. Replaced on lower control arem and one exhaust gas valve. Averages between 10 litres per k highway and 12.8 city solo, and 17 per towing the boat. Rides like a dream.

I always used to do that. But recently the difference between new and used ist what it used to be, And now I know what happened the first 60,000 k.

It really does depend on the vehicle. Take the Tacoma for example, used prices are almost as high as new!