Fenwick HMX Rod

GBW

Hey all.

So my daughters rod is toast and it was old so I'm considering the Fenwick HMX. She likes one of my Shimano's so she will take over that rod. I do 90% of my fishing for walleye. Have yet to hold one of these but at $50 I'm thinking maybe. I can get either a 6'6" Med-Light or a 6'6" Med-Heavy. I was thinking the M-L for wallleye but I have hooked into some big walleye and fear I might snap it. All my other rod's are Shimano Med with a Fast or Extra Fast tip. Thoughts? Thanks.

G

Ok and thanks. I was thinking the M-L would be just fine as they all have different wording. The M-L from them may be just like the Shimano Med - Fast action as far as I can tell. Will pick one up in my hands in the AM and go from there... The grip and price is what got me thinking vs another Compre for $99

Imo go med heavy. Its gotta lotta bend and works perfect for walleye and still has the backbone for multi species.

In all honesty its my favorite rod, and that price is too good! I think I paid $80 but Id still buy one at that price.

Great rod! Mines couple with a stradic Ci4 2000 and 10lb PP

I was thinking easier bite detection and I can tinker with it in the river here for crappie as well as I don't have a M-L rod anymore. Or even an U-L. I still have my other "go to" rod's as this would be a 4th in the boat for me to use.

I sold off alot of stuff this year while on a medical leave...

No issues. I love my fenwicks.

Ditto!

Really liked using the 3-piece travel rod for the month up north this past summer too. They made/make a "walleye class" rod that had great sensitivity and was an excellent jigging stick. Casting wasn't as great with it though. Do "like" Shimano rods although I'd rather find alternatives. Compres have been fine but some Crucial and Clarus rods purchased have had problems. Fenwicks are always on the radar nowadays, solid price point.

Ditto!

Really liked using the 3-piece travel rod for the month up north this past summer too. They made/make a "walleye class" rod that had great sensitivity and was an excellent jigging stick. Casting wasn't as great with it though. Do "like" Shimano rods although I'd rather find alternatives. Compres have been fine but some Crucial and Clarus rods purchased have had problems. Fenwicks are always on the radar nowadays, solid price point.

Thanks "Drew" and Rick and I have been chatting via FB for the past hr or close to and based on my style of cast and bring back the jigs hopping all the way he thinks the M-H will be better as the M-L is just as you said, doesn't cast nice/far. If they are out of the M-H when I get there I'll still pick up the M-L for vertical fishing and crappie in the river here. Also found a Pflueger Patriarch spinning reel for $129.93 (NinB). This is a 4th rod for the boat if my daughters fails or son's fails and or one of my 3 I tend to bring. Guess it's time for a bigger boat... My 4 or 6 rod's and the kids two and the kids growing, I'm screwed... HAHAHA

PS if they have both and someone want's me to hold them the one I don't buy then PM me and I can buy it and you just pay the $50 plus taxes I have to pay for it. Shipping would be more but it's an option if they have both left and someone want's one at 1/2 price.

Love Fenwicks, but the HMX line is the only rod I've broken over the last ten years other than one okuma that didn't involve abuse. Had 2 HMX's back to back snap clean in half, both pretty much in the same place. First one snapped, it was warrantied and the warranty rod snapped clean break as well. I then sold the third warranty replacement brand new. Ever since I've stayed away from HMX's, but maybe just a bad run of rods? Been happily running some HMG's and a pair of Fenwick Eagle 9 foot casting rods for trolling planers and towing BB's up to 4 ounces etc. and they've all been excellent. I do have one 8.5 foot HMX casting rod that hasn't broken, keep waiting for the bang LOL. Fenwick is pretty solid with their warranty though!

The one thing I like is the reel seat on the pic's of the seller's web site and a 1-year over the counter warranty for MFG defects. Oh and 1/2 price too for a back up rod... ;) I fear I may like it lots and use it more with some of the posts but that totally okay too.

Have a couple HMX's...love them both. They are a little fragile (I've broke a couple) but they are definitely tougher than the HMG lineup, and really, that's the price you pay for a good sensitive blank anyways. Get the ML if she'll be doing more live bait type slow presentations, and the MH for fishing artificials in heavier structure.