Where should I go to catch my first Muskellunge?

Hi folks.

As many of you know I am trying to catch as many Ontario's fish species this year. I'm doing ok so far and have plans for trips to catch a few more on the list. However the one fish I would like to catch but have no clue where to go to catch one is the good old Muskie!

I would be very grateful if anyone can suggest any lakes to try (preferably within 3 hours drive of Toronto). No need for honey holes or exact locations just a clue as to which lakes might be worth trying. I am not looking to catch a record fish or anything just a chance to catch one of these amazing creatures, (however small - likely to be with my luck) LOL

Also, is it possible to catch Muskies from shore or would I need to find somewhere with boat rentals?

Any suggestions of Ontario Provincial Parks with lakes containing muskies would also be good so that I could turn the fishing trip into a camping trip too.

Thanks in advance.

try any of the kawartha lakes and yes, you'll likely need a boat. shore opportunities are few and far between and those that know some spots are pretty tight-lipped.

i've never fished it but the provincial park at balsam lake apparently rents boats or canoes.

I recommend the Kawartha Lakes as well. Balsam, Sturgeon, Cameron, Pigeon and Buckhorn all have good muskie fishing. You can find camping on most of the Kawartha lakes as well.

Casting to weed edges that drop from 8- to 12-feet will more than likely be your best shot at catching your first muskie. It's tough to beat in-line bucktail spinners like Mepps Marabou or Muksie Killers, Grim Reapers or Blue Fox Muksie Bucks. Jerk baits like Bobbie baits and Suicks are also a great choice. Rapala Super Shad Raps and Jointed Shad X-Raps also work well on the Kawarthas. Don't forget topwaters like Top Raiders or Poes Giant Jackpots, as top water hits can be awesome.

Good luck getting into your first muskie!

Aaron

without doubt Scugog just pretend your fishing Walleye and you will catch a Musky or try the Nonquon river and fish for Bass and you will catch a Musky.

Took my son out to catch his first Musky that took all of 20 minutes,took my wife out to catch her first Musky that took 10 minutes.

Good Luck

I guess that's why they call muskies 'shoal carp', more of a nuisance fish than anything.

...classic.

Go to scugog. Attach bucktail. Cast and retrieve like a son of a bootch all day. Same rule applies for the other weedy Kawartha lakes.

If you are not worried about the size, then hands down go here....http://www.halcom.ca/haliburton.php.

It is Head Lake in Haliburton, you can almost guarantee yourself a smaller sized muskie. Lots of shoreline you can access, one of the best spots is right off the town dock. Not sure of any immediate camp grounds within the area though. Good luck on your quest!