sibbald point area fishing

huzzsaba

Long ago I spent a summer in Jackson's Point doing survey work for the old Dept of lands and Forests, if you can find access to the Black River in Jackson's Point or Sutton you can catch just about anything there, also, but not for kids maybe, if you want to do some bushwacking I got a lot of specs in the upper Pefferlaw Creek.

FYI I'm pretty sure the black river is a sanctuary south of the blue bridge.

Edit: I could be wrong on that, can't seem to find it in the regs....

You could be right , I seem to recall a sanctuary for a time on the Black to protect Pickeral during their spawning season, are there even any pickerel left in Simcoe? Like you can't seem to find it either, thought it was below a dam ?

Edit: My bad, it was the Pefferlaw that had the sanctuary I recalled from Hwy 48 to the dam in town. At least that one is still on the books.

Edited by dave524

Thanks for the recommendations!

We spent a few hours there yesterday and it was nice. Probably wouldnt camp there but great for day use Was a little bit windy and saw a quite a few people on the water with their parachutes (whatever they are called lol). No fish to be caught but saw tons of minnows (thousands literally) right at the shoreline. Its nice to have a park that charges only $6 and allows you to stay for upto 4 hours.Thank you Sibbald point and Ontario parks!

Black river did look promising but like mentioned, it would probably be hard to find a access point since its surrounded by private properties.

Black river did look promising but like mentioned, it would probably be hard to find a access point since its surrounded by private properties.

Yeah, that could be a problem. I was on a summer job doing a woodlot survey for the Dept of Lands and Forests, they put us up in a cottage on the Briar's Country Club and we got to eat at the club house on the gov't tab, so we got to fish the golf course property, best summer job I had :thumbsup_anim:

We used to catch tons of perch in the spring off the docks at the marina in Jackson's Point but they closed off the docks and the main dock because of too much damage...lots of minnows to be had with a small scoop (kid's butterfly net)...

You could be right , I seem to recall a sanctuary for a time on the Black to protect Pickeral during their spawning season, are there even any pickerel left in Simcoe? Like you can't seem to find it either, thought it was below a dam ?

Edit: My bad, it was the Pefferlaw that had the sanctuary I recalled from Hwy 48 to the dam in town. At least that one is still on the books.

There are Pickeral is Simcoe still. I was watching them in the Talbot today. Big ones too.

Edit: I should probably add it's a sanctuary just in case anyonle doesn't know..

Edited by Dutch01