Old timer lures

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Ok. I have tons and tons of Lures and I only use about 5% of my tackle. I have a few really old lures that are sittin in my tackle box. Any of you old timers ever had any luck with these lures?

I caught a few fish on the yellow quick fish and of course the poppers, though most of those I haven't even tried.

Photo1001.jpg

Photo1002.jpg

The frog looks like a complete waste of money and the fish with the lightning on it looks good for vertical jigging?

John the top left two are Hula Poppers or spin offs of them, I have used them since I was a kid, they are still sold and still catch fish. I have used them up north for bass also and lost some to cut offs so just guessing pike or skis were hitting them too.

LOL I have a frog that looks like that too! a smaller size though, I do leave that one in the barn, nothing for me ever on that.

Lure with the lightning strike I believe is a heddon sonic, they also made one with a couple of jointed redish plastic sections on the tail called a firetail sonic just a couple of fish casting them.

Top middle I think is a spin i dee? or something like that a surface lure that was pretty common here in the 50`s and 60`s bass lure mostly, some days a lure like that will get more bites that other style of surface lures. I used devils horses more.

Black one in the center might be a Arbogaster, that company was located in Akron Ohio for a longtime, also made the Jitterbug, Hulapopper and some others.

Silver fat minnow looks like an older Rebel lure, but can`t remember the name.

Two spoons are red-eyes or spin offs, we used them on the Georgian Bay for pike but dad caught a smallie or two trolling them. I caught pike on them they made a lot of different sizes. Still around I think, I still have a couple.

Banana shaped ones are Lazy Ikes? a flatfish type lure, a lot of spin-offs were made. As a kid I used a little one like the bottom one and caught panfish mostly perch on the GB. We used U-20 and M-50(none huge) flatfish on the GB trolling, lot of pike, a few bass and a walleye or few. A similar lure was a MillRun(Cleveland company) Beno and Beno eel it had more plastic segments for a tail.

LOL thanks for the memories!

Guest Johnny Bass

Thansk!Sounds good. Maybe I will give them a try one day!

They are all origionals. Except one of the wigglers says made in Japan.

OLD TIMER-Whachu mean Willis?? At the tender young age of 60 I stiil use these lures. Been takin naps lately, did I miss somethin??? Do they make newer lures now??? I here tell they a makin some outa plastic, what ever that is. :Gonefishing::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Guest Johnny Bass
Rebel ThinFin, Arbogast HulaDancer,Heddon Nippididee

Sounds good, though do any of them catch fish?:)

Guesser,which ones you still have luck with? I do good on the Hula poppers still.

Edited by Johnny Bass

The lure at the top in the centre is a Spin i didy (SP), red and white. I have that lure in a frog pattern and have had it since the late 70's! I actually purchased it at the London Sportsman Show after being told by Red Fisher that it was a great lure at a really good price!

Well, I must admit that it has caught fish for me, but, at the time, I could have caught a fish on a cigarette butt!

Nice collection Johnny B! You might want to consider taking them in to a guy on Queen Street, just east of Parliament for an appraisal.

HH

I agree with the other mature fisherman here... who the hell you callin' old time boy??? Those lures aren't that old... or maybe they are and I've just lost track of time, but I remember every one of them and have a few myself. You need to preserve those lures Johnny, they may not be really that old right now... but will be when you get to be my age (I'm 23). I wish i'd had the foresight to save some lures when I was a youngun, and to have even purchased some antiques back then.

Thanks for posting this!