Florida Fishing

FLEX ROD

I have never fished in Florida, I am heading down to Florida, specifically the Coconut Creek area which seems to be close to Pompano Beach.

So my dilemma is what to target and where to go?

Space and weight will not be an issue as we are driving down so tackle wise I can bring whatever, just don't have a clue as to what would be the best area and what species to target.

Help please as I really do not have any starting point, do I focus on fishing Golf Courses for Bass or what.......

Suggestions on all fronts - location, species and tackle would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to one and all for any suggestions, Please.

FLEX

SHRIMP in saltwater on jigs, on plain hooks, on what ever. If wanting big fish use smaller fish cut up. Try to get to the mouth of the Hillsboro inlet.

Buy salt water circle hooks. easier to remove. And saltwater leaders.

Also surface baits in the canals if you can get access.

Plyers don't forget them. and don't forget you have to buy both fresh and salt licenses,

Regards

Unless things have changed in the past few years or so, you don't need a salt water license to fish off the pay-as-you-go fishing piers...You can usually buy bait at the store where you pay your admission...

Like said above, use salt water hooks and sliding sinkers with about a three foot fluoresant leader and a swivel...learn the species you can catch and size limits...also, rinse off your tackle with fresh water when you are finished each day...

Have fun !!!

Edited by Beans

I have only fished the Keys and the west coast. The great thing about Fla. is you set a line and you never know what you are going to hook into from a small trout to a shark.

Dead and live shrimp always gets you fish, strips of calamari too. All of the hardware up here will work as well. Stop by a pier and watch what folks are doing and talk to them is the best way to start. I have always had luck with Sea Trout which is very easy to fish for as well as Snook which is a highly sought after game fish. Ponds and inter coastal canals will hold Florida Bass (Largemouth strain) and about all saltwater fish in brackish water. Always remember to rinse off your tackle well after fishing salt water, rust will kill your tackle if not kept clean. I use a separate box for Florida tackle in case I didn't get all the salt off.

You must buy a non resident fishing licence available at local bait and tackle stores, and ask about where and what to fish for and how. You must also go online or get yourself the regs. for the area you are going to fish and what and what isn't in season. There are slot sizes for certain species just as it is here depending on the area you are fishing.

Good luck and have fun.

When fishing off of trails watch for fire ants, spiders, snakes and other bigger things. I made the mistake once of going off trail over by Boca once in shoes socks and shorts.

Was not a fun evening.

So I would advise long pants.

But that's just me.

every canal, pond, ditch, lake etc has bass in it. Loved fishing down that way. And golf courses are great. Find a course that is not that busy and take a few casts as you golf alone. OR find a course that is super busy and take a few casts while you wait to tee off. I catch tons of bass doing that