Trailering a 14 ft aluminum w. 7.9 Merc

cheese

Should not be a problem if the boat has a sturdy transom make sure the motor locks in the down position if it doesn't like my kicker motor then tie it with rope or bungie cords to the trailer .If you are travelling on some unpaved roads you may want to take it off if the road is rough.Good luck.MTP

Another option might be to get a small transom saver if you don't want to have to lay the motor in the boat. They help takes pressure off the transom from vibration and bumps while trailering the boat.

I don't think there's any question about it, on the transom!are you going to lay it in the bottom of the boat while you're out on the water? Not only do you have the weight of the motor on the transom while in the water, you also have the force of the motor pushing against the transom while under power.

You'd prolly be less likely to damage something on the motor with it on the transom... prop, tiller arm, cowl....

Outboard motors are meant to be kept in an upright position.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Greencoachdog

I got a 25 honda 4 stroke on my 14 ft aluminum. The motor weighs over 100lbs so I'd be damned if I'm gonna remove it for transporting. If your transom is not strong enough for a motor while trailering, I sure wouldn't put the motor on, on the water.

Edited by Deano

No problem leaving it on the transom, but you need to make sure it's not tilted up and bouncing up and down, which is where the problems come from. As already mentioned, you can leave it down as long as it doesn't bounce around, or keep it up and use a transom saver to hold it firmly in place.

If you leave it down though, just be sure to tilt it back up before you back into the water or your fish'n trip could get quite expensive :w00t:

As Deano mentioned the 4 strokes are heavier....more than 1 guy has been concerned with extra weight on transom while trailering so removed outboard. Be careful if you do that-oil in sump can make a real mess, careful how you transport a 4 stroke.....plus no oil=no fishing when you get there.

Think 7.9 merc is 2 stroke so doesn't affect original poster.

If you do put it in the boat.....make sure there is something under it....I had a 5 horse put a nice hole in a little tin boat one time......must have hit a bump and punctured it with the gear shifter.

Should be fine on the transom tho...

Sinker