spud bar / ice spike

GBW

I always have my spud bar around my wrist.

It's not going to make my sink to the bottom faster... I wear a floater suite, almost 100% of the time.

My spud is custom designed. 1" x 3" 4140PH plate welded to 1" DOM tube, with a T-handle. Knurled for grip. After some trial and error with the exact angle to sharpen the tip, I heat treated the tip as hard as I could get it. I only have to sharpen it once every few years now.

Works like a charm!

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59871&hl=%2Bbud+%2Bthe+%2Bspud

The link was before I added a rope through the handle, with a loop to fit over my wrist. Nothing tight. Just there in case it slips out of my hand while chipping a hole.

Edited by N.A.W

GBW you up for a road trip to London?

Thanks Dan (et all) but no road trip any time soon that way.

As for the wrist part, I would have enough room to flick my hand out in a moment and I too wear a float suit every time. It keeps me warm too... ;)

Going to either buy or make one later this week depending on the cost to make one like Dave said. It's just a spike, not to pry ever. I have my gas auger in the sled to make holes I'm just checking for ice thickness for safety is all.

Edited by GBW

I find a light, long handled axe a better tool with more uses.

Ahh, a new thought process going on now... Thanks Chris. The Axe I have is to big and heavy for that application but the others who have seen my Axe like it! ;)

Pretty hard to chip step your way to a spot swinging an axe..

One easy chip with a good spud pole and you penetrate easily an inch if not 2 of ice..

That's what spud poles where invented for. An axe is no where near as ergonomically designed.

Edited by N.A.W

Pretty hard to chip step your way to a spot swinging an axe..

One easy chip with a good spud pole and you penetrate easily an inch if not 2 of ice..

That's what spud poles where invented for. An axe is no where near as ergonomically designed.

Long handle, light.

I've done physical labor for 20 years and the swing of the axe is way easier on my wrists than jabbing a spud.