Trigger locks for guns

mr blizzard

Watched the cbc north news north tonight

the govt is going to give trigger locks to all aboriginals who have guns for free

this is just a news reporting issue

Why do the rest of us still have to pay for ours

I was brought up by my father that we are all equal

It is not a bashing issue but could we not all benefit from this,, when I took both gun courses I knew the rules for safety sake

Some topics in the north never travel down south

Maybe more lives could be saved

I have a great deal of native friends up here actually on either side of us even they dont understand this

Just like the couple are expecting to lose their adopted daughter to someone in Ontario, some things dont make sense, again another cbc storey it would just be nice if people co operated and common sense prevailed

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/iqaluit-firearm-trigger-lock-1.3412142

" "In the communities we've been going house-to-house, but Iqaluit's a bit too big for us to be doing that, so we've teamed up with the the Hunters and Trappers Organization, the wildlife office across from RBC and the RCMP will be giving them out at their offices." "

Is the hunters and trappers organization government run?

" Outside of Iqaluit, people who need a trigger lock can contact their local RCMP detachment."

So many Canadians have wasted money on trigger locks for non restricted firearms that they don't need in the first place. If you store them in a security cabinet, secure room or locked vehicle you're simply wasting your time and money. The only time they're required on non restricted firearms is when you're not using one of the three methods listed above for storage of the firearm, such as under the bed or in a closet. Besides, it takes mere seconds to pop one off with a knife.

Just an easy way for them to find out who's got what ,where,and how many

Pretty well every home in Nunavut has guns so the RCMP don't need more data. When caribou are spotted, sleds are fired up and gone, youth and adults. Not the most happy time if they come back empty-handed.

I am going to consider this an attempt to keep the kids safe.

Having a trigger lock simply acts as a small deterent to stop a child from picking up a gun and having an accident.

I don't believe there are a lot of gun safes in homes up there

It may not be the best solution but for the price of a few trigger locks it just may save a life

Firstly, I keep reading this thread title as tiger locks. For not shooting tigers, I guess? Didn't think there were many tigers in the north anyway lol

Secondly, I give this a big "whatever." It's pretty obvious they're doing an inventory on guns but to try and make sure they get as close to 100% participation as possible they're giving out free prizes. It also may be my ignorance on the subject, but I'd be very surprised if people who appear to be living in poverty keep their guns properly stored in cabinets, etc. as prescribed in proper gun safety. But truthfully, just because they have them doesn't mean they'll be used.

Thirdly, as a liberal/left leaning individual I have no desire to take any law abiding citizen's (toy) gun away. There is no conspiracy to disarm the population, in spite of what the conspiracy theorists believe. I don't think there needs to eb any reform on the gun laws in Canada. Other places though...

Guys, to be clear, a security cabinet that is fully legal to store non restricted firearms without trigger locks can be as simple as a tool chest or wooden box as long as it has a lock and needs tools to be opened. A secure room can be as simple as a spare bedroom with a padlock on the door. They likely don't have safes or store bought gun cabinets to store the guns, but I am sure they can afford a simple padlock and hasp.

netminder, you personally may not want to steal property from law abiding Canadians, but you can bet it's on the agenda of some. Do you not recall the 2014 reclassification of a couple firearms that turned them from non restricted and restricted into prohibited firearms with the stroke of a pen? If the conservatives hadn't reversed the RCMP's decision, thousands of law abiding Canadians would have been forced to hand over their newly reclassified firearms with zero compensation (over $2k each to buy) or become criminals. Why did the RCMP do this? Because these guns LOOK like prohibited firearms. They're semi auto and fire at the same rate as your grandpa's semi auto rifle. That's right, the RCMP attempted to ban them on looks and looks alone.

Guys, to be clear, a security cabinet that is fully legal to store non restricted firearms without trigger locks can be as simple as a tool chest or wooden box as long as it has a lock and needs tools to be opened. A secure room can be as simple as a spare bedroom with a padlock on the door. They likely don't have safes or store bought gun cabinets to store the guns, but I am sure they can afford a simple padlock and hasp.

Two things here.....one being you don't need to put a padlock on a bedroom door. A buddy of mine did that and I asked why didn't he just change the door nob to a outside door nob that locks.....like on your front door..

But the second thing that really bothers me is if a room that is locked with firearms is OK and now considered under lock and key, then why isn't my house considered a locked room if I keep both doors locked.

So the government is saying it's OK to come into my home uninvited but it's NOT OK to enter that one other room. Bull ! ! !

Two things here.....one being you don't need to put a padlock on a bedroom door. A buddy of mine did that and I asked why didn't he just change the door nob to a outside door nob that locks.....like on your front door..

But the second thing that really bothers me is if a room that is locked with firearms is OK and now considered under lock and key, then why isn't my house considered a locked room if I keep both doors locked.

So the government is saying it's OK to come into my home uninvited but it's NOT OK to enter that one other room. Bull ! ! !

The padlock was merely a suggestion for those on a limited budget, I would never install one on one of my interior doors. Point is they want firearms to be secured in another manner besides simply locking your entry doors which is why both non and restricted need their own means of securing them.

The government is not saying it's okay for anyone to enter one room or another and this is simply a common sense approach. Let's say you have family over for Christmas and you have firearms in the house. Which seems safer? Having unsecured firearms in the house that everyone has access to once they're inside your front door or firearms that are locked in their own room, security cabinet, or have trigger locks installed.

I don't have a problem with installing a trigger lock on my 12 gage. It's a cheap way of abiding by the law. If nothing else, it will keep a child safe as stated above & slow down a shady person with ill intentions.

The only time that trigger lock is legally required on your non restricted shotgun is if it's being stored in your home with no other method of keeping it secured, such as hanging on the wall or in a closet. Any other time you're simply going above what is required and is a waste of time and money.

Using a trigger lock when not required makes as much legal sense as stopping twice at a stop sign, wearing two seat belts, or going half the speed limit...